[Air-L] CfP: extended deadline Workshop Mutual Shaping of Human-Robot Interaction @RO-MAN'17

Somaya Ben Allouch s.benallouch at saxion.nl
Fri Jun 2 02:25:36 PDT 2017

--------------------------------

Call for Papers

The Mutual Shaping of Human-Robot Interaction

A workshop, held in conjunction with IEEE International Symposium on Robot
and Human Interactive Communication (IEEE RO-MAN 2017)

in Lisbon, Portugal, workshop day September 1, 2017.

www.mutualshapinghri.com

----------------------------------

**Submission Deadline: June 21, 2017**

Workshop topic

The field of robotics has rapidly advanced over the last decades and shown
great promises in different fields. After robots were introduced in
industry decades ago, advancements in robotic systems have enabled them to
increasingly enter and affect our everyday lives. Nowadays, we see robotic
systems being introduced as assistants, team-mates, care-takers, and
companions, in diverse contexts such as education, health and eldercare,
the home, and in search and rescue. This development has started the
discussion on the emotional, ethical and societal consequences of the
increasing confrontations and interactions between humans and robots.

Studies in human-robot interaction have shown that, when robots enter
different contexts of our everyday lives, they can influence and change
that particular context beyond its intended use purpose alone. The term
mutual shaping explains the detailed process of technological design
suggesting that society and technology are not mutually exclusive to one
another and, instead, influence and shape each other. Society changes as a
direct result of the implementation of technology that has been created
based on society’s wants and needs. The mutual shaping of technology and
society approach focuses on analyzing how social and cultural factors
influence the way technologies are designed, used, and evaluated, as well
as how technologies affect our construction of social values and meanings.

The decisions made in the design, adoption, use, and evaluation process
affect human’s attitudes towards, uses of, and even their
conceptualizations of these (socially) interactive systems. Social norms,
values and morals are both implicitly and explicitly intertwined with
technologies, reinforcing or altering our beliefs and practices. Once a
robot has entered a social environment, it will alter the distribution of
responsibilities and roles within that environment, including how people
act in that situation or use context. Accordingly, studies that show how
use practices of robot systems and the social environment mutually shape
each other, and what forms this mutual shaping process takes, is crucial
for the future development of robots for broad societal use. This knowledge
is required to inform the design and acceptance of new and existing robot
systems.

Call for papers

The aim of this workshop is to inform the robotics community and its many
stakeholders about lessons learned so far about the mutual shaping of
robots and society. We will focus on how social factors affect whether
people choose to use robots, and how robot design factors affect the social
contexts in which robots are used. We welcome prospective participants to
submit extended abstracts (max. 4 pages including references) covering any
relevant topic contributing to the discussion on the mutual shaping effect
(s) of robots and society. The goal is to discuss a wide variety of
contributions from the many disciplines and approaches that intersect with
the development and evaluation of robot systems (e.g. Human-Human
Interaction, Human-Computer Interaction, Human-Robot Interaction, Human
Factors User-Experience, engineering, computer sciences, (interactive)
design, sociology, anthropology, psychology, etc.). We invite a diversity
of topics from researchers and practitioners from a wide variety of fields
who address strategies and lessons learned about mutual shaping of robots
and society including, but not limited to:

      ·       Human-robot (non)use

      ·       Human-Robot interaction

      ·       Mutual shaping of robots and society

      ·       Evaluation of robot applications and contexts of use

      ·       Socially intelligent robotics

      ·       Multimodal assessment technologies

      ·       Design of robotics systems

      ·       Social analysis of robotics

      ·       Social cognitive systems

The manuscripts should use the conference format. Please submit a PDF copy
of your manuscript to s.benallouch at saxion.nl and maartje_de_graaf at brown.edu
.

Timeline Extended Submission

July 21, 2017:  Submission deadline for workshop papers

July 10, 2017: Notification of acceptance

July 20, 2017: Camera-ready workshop papers deadline

July 10, 2017: Workshop program finalized

September 1, 2017: Workshop day

Workshop organizers

Somaya Ben Allouch – Saxion University of Applied Sciences, The Netherlands

Maartje de Graaf – Brown University, USA

Selma Sabanovic – Indiana University, USA

Friederike Eyssel – Bielefeld University, Germany