[Air-L] Link to New Book: After the Internet

Adam Fish rawbird at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 03:07:40 PDT 2017

Dear Scholars,

Please take a look at a draft of our new book out with Polity, After the
Internet, written by myself and Ramesh Srinivasan. Here is the blurb, table
of contents, and link.

https://www.academia.edu/33349822/After_the_Internet

Best,

Adam Fish

After the Internet
Ramesh Srinivasan
<http://eu.wiley.com/WileyCDA/Section/id-302479.html?query=Ramesh+Srinivasan>
, Adam Fish
<http://eu.wiley.com/WileyCDA/Section/id-302479.html?query=Adam+Fish>
ISBN: 978-1-5095-0618-7
224 pages
September 2017, Polity
Description

In the wake of Edward Snowden's revelations, and concern that the internet
has heightened rather than combatted various forms of political and social
inequality, it is time we ask: What comes after a broken internet?

Ramesh Srinivasan and Adam Fish reimagine the internet from the perspective
of grassroots activists and citizens on the margins of political and
economic power. They explore how the fragments of the existing internet are
being utilised alongside a range of peoples, places, and laws to make
change possible. From indigenous and non-western communities and activists
in Tahrir Square, to imprisoned hackers and whistleblowers, this book
illustrates how post-digital cultures are changing the internet as we know
it from a system which is increasingly centralized, commodified, and
"personalized", into something more in line with its original spirit:
autonomous, creative, subversive.

The book looks past the limitations of the internet, reconceptualizing
network technology in relation to principles of justice and equality.
Srinivasan and Fish advocate for an internet that blends the local concerns
of grassroots communities and activists with the need to achieve scalable
change and transformation.

Written by two highly respected scholars in the field, this compelling book
is essential reading for anyone concerned with the quality and future of
the internet.

Table of Contents

   - *Contents*
   - Introduction: After the Internet
   - Chapter 1: Reimagining Technology with Global Communities
   - Chapter 2: Hacking the Hacktivists
   - Chapter 3: Media Activism: Shaping Online and Offline Networks
   - Chapter 4: After the Clouds: Do Silk Roads Lead to Data Havens?
   - Conclusion