[Air-L] A Statement from Members of the AoIR Executive Committee

Dr. habil. Nils Zurawski nils.zurawski at uni-hamburg.de
Fri Mar 3 04:09:52 PST 2017

Dear all,

I applaude the decision and the statement by the exec. of AOIR

- however, I would also wonder if the list that David started would be
continued, where we would end, and I believe Israel would not be the
last, as we would have e.g. Russia (homophobia and anti gay
legislation), likewise many arabic countries and some in Africa.... this
list can continue and I would ask how we deal with this
In which country do we end up and is the the perfect place then for all
our ideals?

I am not saying the intention is bad, but we and the exec have to be
careful that this is not backfiring on them/us at some point.

And what about the brave scholars from such countries that try to make
scientific and scholarly ends meet despite such policies - a ban would
maybe discourage them,....

It is difficult, but now that the statement is out, it is also time to
discuss the difficulties of such a decision and its future consequences.

in good spirit.

nilz

On 2 Mar 2017, at 23:25, David Banks wrote:

> Very happy to read this! Thanks to everyone involved for their hard
> work. I
> have some questions about how one may abide by this statement,
> however.
>
> "Therefore, we proudly state that we do not tolerate or create any
> undue
> barriers to the full and equal participation of its members because of
> race, age, culture, ability, ethnicity or nationality, gender identity
> and
> expression, sexual orientation, marital status, religious affiliation,
> or
> socioeconomic status. This commitment means, in particular, that we
> will
> endeavor to not stage future conferences in locations where such
> participation cannot be guaranteed"
>
> Could we get more detail about what this materially means? To me this
> would
> indicate that AoIR conferences could not be held in 1) expensive
> resort
> hotels, 2) the United States, and/or 3) Israel.
>
> -db
>
> On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 11:14 AM, Jennifer Stromer-Galley
> <jstromer at syr.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> In light of the United States' January 27, 2017 executive order
>> restricting entry to its borders, based upon intersectional
>> stereotypes of
>> Islamic religious faith as embodied within Middle Eastern, African,
>> and
>> South Asian identity, we hereby restate our commitment to the
>> fundamental
>> values upon which the Association of Internet Researchers (AoIR) is
>> founded. These values center upon human dignity, equality of
>> opportunity,
>> and the principles of academic freedom.  AoIR vehemently opposes any
>> entities, groups, measures, or activities that seek to undermine such
>> principles, in scholarly research and in society at large, wherever
>> in the
>> world they may operate.
>> AoIR, following its mission to provide and promote outstanding
>> research
>> upon the Internet's capacity to mediate transnational and global
>> culture
>> through networking, is proud to represent a diverse international
>> community
>> of Internet researchers. In affirming the shared values of our
>> community,
>> we encourage our members to exercise their inalienable right to speak
>> out
>> whenever and wherever they believe those values to be undermined or
>> violated. In keeping with the principle of academic freedom, AoIR
>> conferences themselves also support that free exercise by offering a
>> venue
>> for such discussions to be conducted respectfully.
>> AoIR is constantly at work to ensure that our actions and our words
> [...]

Dr. habil. Nils Zurawski
Universität Hamburg
Inst. für kriminologische Sozialforschung
Allende-Platz 1
20146 Hamburg
Germany
tel. +49 (0) 40 42838 2199 (AB)
fax. +49 (0) 40 42838 2328

http://www.surveillance-studies.org/

Neue Bücher:
#Gerrit Herlyn & Nils Zurawski (Hg.): Achtung Sicherheitskontrollen!
Flughäfen, Kultur und Un/Sicherheiten. Münster 2015

#Raum-Kontrolle-Weltbild. Raumvorstellungen als Grundlage
gesellschaftlicher Ordnung und ihrer Überwachung. Mai 2014 bei Budrich
UniPress.

#Anthropology of Security, Perspectives from the Frontline of Policing,
Counter-terrorism and Border Control (eds. M. Maguire, C. Frois, N.
Zurawski) Pluto Press 2014