[Air-L] Ethics & data collection on Facebook

Schaefer, M.T. (Mirko) m.t.schaefer at uu.nl
Wed Mar 8 00:39:19 PST 2017

Hi Denise,
what are the questions concerning ethics? The ethics of Facebook (them), or ethics in collecting data from FB pages (you/your student)? We at the Utrecht Data School run into issues of ethics all the time, as we capture/use wildley, made mistakes in the past (suppose we'll make some in the future, though trying to prevent it) and as we cooperate with public administrations and consult them on ethics. We developed the Data Ethics Decision Aid (DEDA) which is a table poster for discussing and reflecting on a research project's ethical issues and potential impact. And it is an interactive questionnaire addressing potential ethical issues. In our recent book are two chapters that might be of interest:

Get Your Hands Dirty. Emerging Data Practices as Challenge for Research Integrity (Gerwin van Schie, Irene Westra & Mirko Tobias Schäfer)

Research Ethics in Context. Decision-Making in Digital Research (Annette Markham & Elizabeth Buchanan)

The book is available as open access here: http://oapen.org/search?identifier=624771

Cheers,
mirko