[Air-L] Call for abstracts: Our data futures workshop, MyData 2017 conference, Tallinn, 30.8.2017

Tuukka Lehtiniemi tuukka.lehtiniemi at hiit.fi
Wed Mar 8 00:14:52 PST 2017

OUR DATA FUTURES

Datafication, referring to the conversion of life into digital data, generates new societal opportunities alongside power asymmetries. Initiatives, such as MyData, Open mHealth, MIDATA.coop, Hub of All Things, and Open Humans take datafication as a starting point, but try to steer data flows and data practices in a societally more sustainable direction. These initiatives address asymmetries in terms of data usage and distribution, or inadequacies of existing ethical and regulatory frameworks; they push for the rearticulation of concepts such as participation, sharing, governance, or public good.

This workshop of the MyData 2017 conference invites scholars, participating in and studying such data-driven initiatives, to discuss how the capacities of data technology might be harnessed to promote social justice, new forms of agency, political participation, and collective action. We are also interested in research on data activism and how uses of data challenge accepted norms, assumptions and ideological projects. The aim is to promote debate on the ways forms of data are thought to guide, or shape us as we move into data futures, and whether the data initiatives succeed in promoting new communities of producers and users of data.

Workshop: 30.8.2017 at Tallinn University, Tallinn, Estonia
Abstract deadline: 300 words by 2.5.2017

Details are available at http://mydata2017.org/session/our-data-futures/ <http://mydata2017.org/session/our-data-futures/>

The workshop is arranged in connection to the MyData 2017 conference, Helsinki, Finland & Tallinn, Estonia, 30.8. – 1.9.2017. http://www.mydata2017.org/ <http://www.mydata2017.org/>

Regards,
Minna Ruckenstein, Indrek Ibrus and Tuukka Lehtiniemi