[Air-L] New book: The Datafied Society. Studying Culture through Data

Mirko Tobias Schaefer m.t.schaefer at uu.nl
Wed Mar 1 00:39:29 PST 2017

Dear colleagues,

we are proud to announce that our book is now available (as
embarrassingly expensive hard-cover AND as free download! See link
below). A reasonably priced paperback will be out in August.

Best wishes,
mirko and Karin

    The Datafied Society. Studying Culture through Data

Mirko Tobias Schäfer & Karin van Es (eds)

     From the back-cover

The large corpus of empirical data and available tools for data
collection and analysis are changing the ways knowledge is produced. For
the humanities, this transformation requires not only that we must
critically inquire into how technology affects our understanding of
knowledge and how it alters our epistemic processes, but that we also
need to employ the new data resources and technologies in new ways of
scholarly investigation.

The Datafied Society: Studying Culture Through Data thinks through the
opportunities and pitfalls of doing research with data provides within
the humanities (and media studies in particular). It covers different
research methods, considers how researchers can engage with the datafied
society, and reflects on moral and discrimination issues that need to be
tackled when embarking on research. Through a series of four short
interviews with leading scholars it furthermore pinpoints the key ideas
in big data research.

This book is a collection of scholarly investigations into
computer-aided methods and practices. While several contributors offer
essays representing their skills, methods and exemplary research
projects, others reflect on the sensibilities and competencies that
scholars need to develop in order to study contemporary culture through
data. Together they make a volume that will stimulate and engage
humanities scholars via their perspectives on debates and reflections on
the theory and practices of digital data research./
/

The book is published at Amsterdam University Press / Chicago University
Press.
You can order it at 20% discount using the code "ageofdata2017"

<http://en.aup.nl/books/9789462981362-the-datafied-society.html>

<http://press.uchicago.edu/ucp/books/book/distributed/D/bo26268744.html>

Free download: <http://oapen.org/search?identifier=624771>

      Contributors

Julian Ausserhofer, Dominikus Baur, Thomas Boeschoten, Asher Boersma,
Liliana Bounegru, Elizabeth Buchanan, Mercedes Bunz, Nicolás López
Coombs, Nick Couldry, Karin van Es, Carolin Gerlitz, Daniel Goddemeyer,
Jonathan Gray, Mathieu Jacomy, Koen Leurs, Lev Manovich, Annette
Markham, Eef Masson, Evgeny Morozov, Christian Gosvig Olesen, Moritz
Stefaner, Johannes Paßmann, Cornelius Puschmann, Bernhard Rieder, Theo
Röhle, Richard Rogers, Natalia Sánchez-Querubin, Mirko Tobias Schäfer,
Gerwin van Schie, Tamara Shepherd, William Uricchio, Tommaso Venturini,
Irene Westra

/------------------------------------
/

"As our world gets increasingly connected and mediatised, input and
expertise from the humanities and social science becomes essential to
understanding the dynamics, ethics and pragmatics of a datafied society.
This book is an important contribution to meet the challenges of the
platform-driven, data-fueled world in which we have all come to live."

<http://www.uva.nl/over-de-uva/organisatie/medewerkers/content/d/i/j.f.t.m.vandijck/j.f.t.m.vandijck.html>José
van Dijck <https://www.knaw.nl/nl/leden/leden/7836>, President of the
Netherlands Royal Academy of Arts and Sciences, author of /The Culture
of Connectivity/

"We all know - or should know by now - how extensively corporations
surveil our actions and analyze the data we leave behind. But we mustn't
let our horror at the misuse of data dissuade us from considering how
big data can aid us in our quest as scholars and changemakers to
understand society, and to establish best and ethical practices in those
pursuits. This is the first comprehensive look at the possibilities for
a humanist approach to big data. "

Douglas Rushkoff <http://www.rushkoff.com/>, author of /Throwing Rocks
at the Google Bus/ and /Program or Be Programmed/

"/The Datafied Society. Studying Culture through Data/ provides an
abundance of methodological tools and reflection. Through combining
interesting empirical case studies with sound theoretical reasoning,
this interdisciplinary anthology with its excellent and diverse
contributions is a milestone in the study of culture through data."

Judith Simon <http://bubblestudies.ku.dk/employees/judith-simon/>,
Co-editor /Big Data and Societ/y