[Air-L] Literature on fake profiles on Facebook and Twitter

MC Cambre mcambre at ualberta.ca
Mon May 15 04:33:03 PDT 2017

This is an interesting topic, with a number of logistical challenges, a bit
of a rabbit hole, if you will. For example, I had a fake account for 10
years, primary reason being that I was collecting data via Facebook, and
also storing data there. Recently someone reported I had a fake name, and
the account has been blocked, all evidence of it has disappeared across all
groups, 'friends' and pages. To re-open it, I have to upload photo ID, 2
pieces. There is a youtube video on how to create fake ID for facebook
accounts, etc. etc.

I want to highlight that mine was a fake profile, not a fake account (which
I would define as a bot)

Because of the facebook crackdown on fake profiles, people who wish to mask
their identity have been forced to go deeper into cover. There are a number
of mechanisms by which the platform seeks out and closes all fake profiles,
both robotic and human managed. Even people who no longer work for
facebook, maintain the 'party line' - hard to get them to talk.

Kindly,
carolina