[Air-L] AllLivesMatter and BlueLivesMatter Material

Chris Julien juliencm22 at gmail.com
Wed May 17 07:38:41 PDT 2017

Sounds like an interesting paper! Perhaps this is too tangential or
unrelated to your conceptual/theoretical frame, but it seems to me that the
discourse of AllLivesMatter and BlueLivesMatter groups aligns with Matthew
Hughey's work on white identity construction, as well as Bonilla-Silva's
four frames of color-blind racism, one of which is abstract liberalism: the
use of liberal ideals to invoke equality in the abstract while ignoring
historical disparities between dominant and minority peoples. So, these
works aren't specifically about the two groups in question, but I think
they powerfully light-up their operative ideologies.

Hughey, Matthew W. 2010. “The (dis)similarities of white racial identities:
the conceptual framework of ‘hegemonic whiteness.’” Ethnic and Racial
Studies 33(8):1289-1309.

Bonilla-Silva, Eduardo. 2002. “The Linguistics of Color-Blind Racism: How
to Talk Nasty about Blacks without Sounding ‘Racist.’” Critical Sociology
28(1-2):41-64.

Apologies is this isn't pertinent to the interests driving your research.

Cheers,
Chris

---

Chris Julien, MA in Sociology