[Air-L] Free registration now open Different Bodies: (Self-)Representation, Disability and the Media

Jacob Johanssen johanssenjacob at gmail.com
Mon May 15 03:32:30 PDT 2017

Dear colleagues,
those of you who may be in London this June might be interested in the
following conference.

*Different Bodies: (Self-)Representation, Disability and the Media*

*Friday, June 23, 2017, University of Westminster, 309 Regent Street,
London*

Register for free:
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/different-bodies-self-representation-disability-and-the-media-tickets-34505139802
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.eventbrite.com%2Fe%2Fdifferent-bodies-self-representation-disability-and-the-media-tickets-34505139802&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNF17oO4bFlMSAJ-jvksE7MlHj5lQA>

Programme available here:
https://sites.google.com/view/mediadisfigurement/conference

This one-day conference seeks to explore representations of the body as
strange, shameful, wrong, impaired, wounded, scarred, disabled, lacking,
different or ‘other’ in contemporary media.

The advent of digital media has underlined the importance of visual culture
and our curiosity in representations of the body to form opinions about
ourselves and others. Media portrayals of bodies can affect our lives
because media are one of the primary agents of socialization. Bodies we see
in newspapers, on television and in our social media feeds are often made
to appear perfect in order to conform to racialized and heteronormative
ideals of what it means to be beautiful and normal in contemporary
capitalist societies. This conference seeks to contribute to current
debates in theoretical fields such as feminism, queer theory, disability
studies, critical theory and postcolonial studies over presentations of the
body that are white, young, slim and productive.

*Keynote*: Professor Lisa Blackman (Goldsmiths)

The conference will also feature a special panel by *Changing Faces*

This conference is part of the research project ‘Facial Disfigurement in
the UK Media: From Print to Online’, led by Dr Diana Garrisi (University of
Westminster) and Dr Jacob Johanssen (University of Westminster).

Conference attendance is free. Lunch and refreshments will be provided.
Please let the organisers know if you have any access or dietary
requirements.