[Air-L] literature on theory and big data in social sciences

Jack Jen Gieseking jgieseking at gmail.com
Wed May 31 07:12:13 PDT 2017

Hi all,
Here are some of the key citations/writers in geography on this topic.
Cheers, Jack

   - Kitchin, Rob. 2014. *The Data Revolution: Big Data, Open Data, Data
   Infrastructures and Their Consequences*. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
   - Gieseking, Jen Jack. 2017 (forthcoming). “Size Matters to Lesbians
   Too: Queer Feminist Interventions into the Scale of Big Data.” *Professional
   Geographer*. http://bit.ly/jg-socarx-sizematt.
   - Thatcher, Jim, David O’Sullivan, and Dillon Mahmoudi. 2016. “Data
   Colonialism through Accumulation by Dispossession: New Metaphors for Daily
   Data.” *Environment and Planning D: Society and Space* 34 (6): 990–1006.
   doi:10.1177/0263775816633195.
   - Dalton, Craig M., and Jim Thatcher. 2014. “Commentary: What Does a
   Critical Data Studies Look Like, and Why Do We Care? Seven Points for a
   Critical Approach to ‘big Data.’” *Environment & Planning D: Society &
   Space*, May.
   http://societyandspace.com/material/commentaries/craig-dalton-and-jim-thatcher-what-does-a-critical-data-studies-look-like-and-why-do-we-care-seven-points-for-a-critical-approach-to-big-data/
   .
   - Leszczynski, Agnieszka. 2015. “Spatial Big Data and Anxieties of
   Control.” *Environment & Planning D: Society & Space* 33 (6): 965–84.

--
Jen Jack Gieseking
Assistant Professor of Public Humanities