[Air-L] How ICA is handling this year's US conference

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Tue May 9 14:26:00 PDT 2017

Next year is not in the US

   Barry Wellman

                  Streisand/Sondheim
                        http://amzn.to/zXZg39

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 9 May 2017 17:24:36 -0400
From: noreply at icahdq.org
To: wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Subject: International Travel Trips for ICA Annual Conference

[2017EmailBanner.gif]

INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL TRIPS FOR ICA ANNUAL CONFERENCE

Background
The Trump administration has not made travel to the US an easy process this year. The good news is that the travel ban has been blocked in a decision
citing its overt motive to discriminate against people on the basis of their religion and national origin, a direct violation of the U.S.
constitution. This confusing and evolving situation has raised serious concerns for many members, particularly those intending to participate in the
upcoming annual conference in San Diego.

As the ICA Executive Committee asserted in a statement to our membership and larger community in February in response to the first ban, this situation
ÿÿrun[s] counter to ICAÿÿs commitment to ensure full and equal participation of all members of our organization and participants in our global academic
community.ÿÿ

Since February, Iÿÿve been writing articles in the newsletter and sending messages regarding the current status of the ban. I have also had the pleasure
of virtually ÿÿmeetingÿÿ many of you while connecting you with legal aid in the form of our visa attorney and of helping many of you gain approval for your
visas. I have personally talked to more consulates in the past two months than most people have in their entire lives! I am pleased to say that most
of those efforts have been successful, and I am looking forward to seeing most of you in San Diego at the end of this month. The most important aim we
have is to preserve your rights as scholars to freely present your work and to collaborate with your peers.

An Update from the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU)
I have been in touch with the ACLU throughout this process and am pleased to share this information from Nick Steiner, Legal and Public Policy Counsel
at the ACLU:

ÿÿThe current status...is that any travel restrictions that have been put in place because of the executive order have been enjoined, meaning they are
not in effect. ÿÿFor purposes of your conference I think participants, even from the countries listed in the ban, should not have a problem receiving
their visa and entering the US. ÿÿIf they have a valid visa, they should not have a problem entering the country once they arrive at a US airport...the
chaos that occurred the days following the Jan 27 executive order will most likely not repeat itselfÿÿyour participants should not worry about getting
detained or put on a plane and sent back (as was happening in January).ÿÿ

In addition to the actions we have taken leading up to conference (talking with consulates and embassies, writing personalized invitation letters,
liaising between attendees and attorneys, and setting up cabled internet to ensure that those of you who cannot come can present remotely), there are
a number of ÿÿpro tipsÿÿ we want to impart to those of you traveling from outside the US to make your travel to conference as painless and simple as
possible.

PRO TIPS FOR TRAVELING TO SAN DIEGO

  *  Ask for help on social media - For most of you, San Diego will not be your first US stopÿÿyou will be connecting through another US airport. For this
     reason, we have developed an internal program whereby ICA members in various states containing major international hub airports can volunteer to
     be an #ICAsupport for someone traveling abroad, in case of issues at the airport. In the (hopefully unlikely) instance that there are any issues
     at the airport, ICA members agree to be available to vouch for your legitimate reason for coming to the US. If you would like to be connected with
     someone who can do this for you as insurance in case you have issues, please post on the ICA Twitter or Facebook page with a message such as ÿÿComing
     to #ICA17 and connecting through Boston the morning of 5/23. Can anyone in Boston be my #ICAsupport?ÿÿ It is important to mention the airport/city,
     date, and hashtag.
  *  What to bring on the plane: Bring copies of all of your paperwork on your person, including your itinerary, the confirmation from your hotel (to
     prove how long you are staying), your invitation letter to conference (most of you have already requested this from ICA in order to get your visa
     but if not, email Julie Randolph), and even print out a copy of the page on which your talks appear in the online program, which you can view
     here.
  *  Prescriptions: If there are any medications you must take while traveling, be sure to keep them in their original containers from the pharmacy or
     chemist to eliminate suspicion.
  *  What to leave at home: Leave a few things at home: leave with someone you trust a copy of your itinerary, and a photocopy of your passport, visa,
     and credit cards (in case you lose anything).
  *  As a general travel tip: itÿÿs best to have a paper copy of everything you need just in case. Donÿÿt let your phone be your only source of information.
     Batteries run out and phones get lost. Have a backup!

Again, our ACLU attorney Nick Steiner says he is optimistic that none of our attendees will have issues, as the ban is not currently in effect. Make
sure you have your documents in order, and know that most TSA agents will only ask you a few questions (such as where you are staying, and what date
you plan to return) and then welcome you to the United States! You may not be able to have your phone out while waiting in the line, so have a book
handy in case there is a long line!

If for whatever reason you do encounter any difficulties at the airport:

  *  Contact your #ICAsupport if you have gotten one ahead of time and have his/her contact information handy (make sure to get one ahead of time!)
     ÿÿ both printed on paper and programmed into your phone
  *  Let me know here in the office. Even while I myself am traveling to San Diego, I will be checking my email consistently. Please email me with your
     issue and your mobile phone number so that I may help you or connect you with someone who can. I will call you back as soon as I can.
  *  If you are detained for any reason, our ACLU contact welcomes you to call him so that he can intervene. Tell the TSA agent that you wish to speak
     to your attorney at the ACLU. His name is Nick Steiner, +1-410-889-8550, extension 139

NowÿÿLetÿÿs Get Excited for Conference!

As you may have noticed from looking at the online program for the San Diego 2017 annual conference, our program chair and president-elect Paula
Gardner (MacMaster U) has assembled numerous special panels directly associated with this policy, recognizing that rigorous dialogue is essential at
this moment. Your opening plenary features scholars discussing the issue of the ÿÿborderÿÿ in San Diego: across ethnicity, religious and national identity,
gender, and beyond. Another includes international members discussing current global populist movements and cultures, and still others address
ÿÿposttruth politicsÿÿ and ÿÿalternative facts.ÿÿ These are examined from a multicultural and multinational perspective, acknowledging that the location for this
yearÿÿs conference is not the only place in the world undergoing these changes. Several preconferences, Blue Sky workshops, numerous sessions, and a
special exhibit on propaganda also address the current environment for academics internationally. At these events, we invite all attendees to dialogue
regarding concerns including recent policy actions in the US and elsewhere. This is your conference and your voice is important, now more than ever.

As we said in the Executive Committeeÿÿs official statement in February, ÿÿWe reiterate ICAÿÿs dedication to a global and diverse exchange of knowledge and
perspectives and our mission-- to protect the free exchange of diverse ideas among our members and attendees. We reaffirm our belief that scholarship
is expanded and enhanced by our differences. Indeed, we cherish the ideals of inclusion and diversity and we celebrate difference; we do not tolerate
speech or behavior that threatens the safety ofÿÿor discriminates in any way againstÿÿany person or group. Our leadership and our staff are committed to
preserving these ideals. We reiterate our commitment to working to ensure that ICA as a whole, and our San Diego 2017 annual conference in particular,
are physically safe, inclusive, and welcoming environments for the exchange of knowledge and for the enhancement of scholarship and community.ÿÿ

To all of our members and attendees, from me personally and from our staff at the ICA headquarters: We cannot wait to see you all in San Diego!
Whether you join in this conversation with your physical presence or via a computer screen from across the globe, your voice is important. We will do
everything we can to preserve your ability to participate. If thereÿÿs anything we can do for you, please let us know. No matter how we see you, we look
forward to seeing you this month!

Sincerely,
Laura Sawyer
ICA Executive Director

CONNECT WITH US [facebooklogoc.png]     [twitterlogoc.png]
PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL---THIS EMAIL ADDRESS IS NOT MONITORED.
Questions should be directed to contacts listed within the message.You have received this email because you are currently subscribed to receive
general correspondence. Please click
http://www.icahdq.org/members/EmailOptPreferences.aspx?id=42468374&e=wellman@chass.utoronto.ca&h=6a1ac7ffb3f7c56ccef79b9743e29af4c3ad3c32 if you no
longer wish to receive these communications.

International Communication Association, 1500 21st Street N.W., Washington, DC 20036

[email_image.aspx?t=JuHjvMNwVT5PcAxwMA9x8u%2fflgA1RBcTKb2ANymPBvICEuXLjdV%2bdApOs%2ffk7EUnVI5EWQNXEt92hAr6hBNRncgNHYz2S86bliwjSHn02%2b43%2fuxPqPc8xkWL10CJLyC
a]