[Air-L] [ecrea] New Book: Feminist Activism and Digital Networks

Adam Fish rawbird at gmail.com
Sat May 13 02:38:20 PDT 2017

New Book: Technoliberalism and the End of Participatory Culture in the
United States

By Adam Fish

Palgrave MacMillan

This new book examines whether television can be used as a tool not just
for capitalism, but for democracy. Throughout television’s history,
activists have attempted to access it for that very reason. New
technologies—cable, satellite, and the internet—provided brief openings for
amateur and activist engagement with television. This book elaborates on
this history by using ethnographic data to build a new iteration of
liberalism, technoliberalism, which sees Silicon Valley technology and the
free market of Hollywood end the need for a politics of participation.

Three-part interview with Henry Jenkins, Provost Professor of
Communication, Journalism and Cinematic Arts at the University of Southern
California, about Technoliberalism and the End of Participatory Culture.

Part 1:

http://henryjenkins.org/2017/04/what-ever-happened-to-the-promise-of-participatory-television-an-interview-with-adam-fish-part-one.html

Part 2:

http://henryjenkins.org/2017/05/what-ever-happened-to-the-promise-of-participatory-television-an-interview-with-adam-fish-part-two.html

Part 3:

http://henryjenkins.org/2017/05/what-ever-happened-to-the-promise-of-participatory-television-an-interview-with-adam-fish-part-three.html

Chapters Include:

Introduction: Liberalism and Video Power

Histories of Video Power

Liberalism and Broadcast Politics

Corporate Liberalism and Video Producers

Technoliberalism and the Origins of the Internet

Technoliberalism and the Convergence Myth

Silophication of Media Industries

Neoliberalism and Terminal Video

Toward the Beginning of a New Participatory Culture

Review:

“Adam Fish's ambitious book is at once empirically and theoretically
incisive; it charts the rise and fall of 'technoliberalism' as it confronts
generation after generation of hopeful new media and their relentless
incorporation within capital.  It is an essential and creative
clarification of the tangle of contemporary technologies, political
theories of freedom and equality, and the desires involved in making and
consuming media.” (Christopher Kelty, University of California, Los
Angeles, USA)

Publisher’s site: http://www.springer.com/gb/book/9783319312552#reviews

Adam Fish is cultural anthropologist, video producer, and senior lecturer
in the Sociology Department at Lancaster University. He employs
ethnographic and creative methods to investigate how media technology and
political power interconnect. Using theories from political economy and new
materialism, he examines digital industries and digital activists.
http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/sociology/about-us/people/adam-fish

On Sat, May 13, 2017 at 12:08 AM, Carpentier Nico <nico.carpentier at vub.ac.be