[Air-L] Ynt: Media Manipulation and Disinformation Online ReportReleased w/ Syllabus

Mutlu Binark binark at hacettepe.edu.tr
Tue May 16 12:35:41 PDT 2017

It’s great work…

Mutlu Binark, Ph.D.
Hacettepe Üniversitesi İletişim Fakültesi
Beytepe 06800 Ankara
📞 312-2976231
📧 mbinark at gmail.com
📧 binark at hacettepe.edu.tr
🐦 @mutlubinark
www.yenimedya.wordpress.com

Kimden: יוחנן ועקנין
Gönderilme: 16 Mayıs 2017 Salı 22:20
Kime: Alice E. Marwick
Bilgi: air-l
Konu: Re: [Air-L] Media Manipulation and Disinformation Online ReportReleased w/ Syllabus

Wow!

Yohanan Ouaknine
Bar Ilan University

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 9:56 PM, Alice E. Marwick <amarwick at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi everyone!
>
> I'm very pleased to announce a giant new report I wrote with Becca Lewis on
> "Media Manipulation and Disinformation Online."
>
> You can find it here:
> https://datasociety.net/output/media-manipulation-and-disinfo-online/
>
> In it, we talk about how far-right groups use a variety of techniques to
> spread and amplify their messaging through mainstream media. We talk about
> who these people are (trolls, white nationalists, men's rights activists);
> where they congregate online (the chans, various blogs and YouTube
> channels, Discord servers); the tactics and strategies they use
> (participatory culture, memes, radicalization); what motivates them
> (ideology, money, and status/fame), and some possible outcomes
> (misinformation, decreased trust in media, increased radicalization).
>
> It is 100pp long including an extensive bibliography. The report is very
> detailed, but is written in an accessible style that should appeal to
> non-academics as well.
>
> We've also released a syllabus (including assignments!) that you can use to
> incorporate the report into your classroom:
>
> https://datasociety.net/pubs/oh/DataAndSociety_Syllabus-
> MediaManipulationAndDisinformationOnline.pdf
>
> Would love to hear feedback and please feel free to share with friends,
> colleagues, and social media.
>
> Warmly
> Alice
>
> --
> Alice E. Marwick, PhD
> Fellow, Data & Society
> Assistant Professor, Department of Communication
> University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill (as of 2017)
> amarwick at gmail.com
> <https://mail.google.com/mail/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&to=amarwick@gmail.com>
> http://www.tiara.org  <http://www.tiara.org>

Yohanan Ouaknine

<http://www.twitter.com/yohananouaknine>
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/yohananouaknine>

This e-mail is for the sole use of the intended recipient and contains
information that may be privileged and/or confidential. If you are not an
intended recipient, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete
this e-mail and any attachments.

*P* *Think of the environmental impact before printing this page *