[Air-L] literature on theory and big data in social sciences

Dani Domínguez ddominguez1 at gmail.com
Fri May 26 03:15:33 PDT 2017

A few basic references:

Anderson, C. (2008): The End of Theory: The Data Deluge Makes the
Scientific Method Obsolete. WIRED, 23 Junio,
http://www.wired.com/2008/06/pb-theory/
Andrejevic, M. (2013): Infoglut. How too Much Information is Changing the
Way We Think and Know, New York, NY: Routledge.
Boellstorff, T., & Maurer, B. (eds.) (2015): Data, Now Bigger and Better!
Chicago: Prickly Paradigm Press.
Bolin, G., & Schwarz, J.A. (2015): Heuristics of the algorithm: Big Data,
user interpretation and institutional translation. Big Data & Society,
2(2). doi: 10.1177/2053951715608406
Borgman, C.L. (2015): Big Data, Little Data, No Data: Scholarship in the
Networked World, Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
Crawford, K., Gray, ML, & Miltner, K. (2014): Critiquing Big Data:
Politics, Ethics, Epistemology. International Journal of Communication, 8,
pp. 1663-1672, http://ijoc.org/index.php/ijoc/article/view/2167/1164
Gitelman, L. (ed.) (2013): Raw Data Is an Oxymoron, Cambridge, MA.: MIT
Press.

On 26 May 2017 at 12:09, Polina Kolozaridi <poli.kolozaridi at gmail.com>
wrote:

> dear Tom,
>
> maybe this First Monday issue might be useful:
> http://firstmonday.org/ojs/index.php/fm/issue/view/404
>
> best,
> Polina

> > Dear researchers of the Internet,
> >
> > I'm looking for literature that deals with the relations between theory
> and
> > method in the social sciences in an age of big data and the supposed 'end
> > of theory'. Data is increasingly likely to be a starting point for social
> > scientists investigating the digital world, but what does this mean for
> > theory, method and the relations between them?
> >
> > Any information and literature would be very welcome. Many thanks in
> > advance!
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Tom van Nuenen
> > Assistant Professor Online Culture