[Air-L] Setting Up a Honeypot

Maurice Vergeer m.vergeer at maw.ru.nl
Fri May 12 15:08:33 PDT 2017

I don't think that's a good idea. I just checked a gmail account I set up
over a year ago, without using it. And no spam turned up. Google has one of
the best spam detection software there is. Most of it will not even reach
your spam folder. On a daily basis, my regular gmail account only shows 4
to 5 spam emails.
The best think might be to setup a emailserver without a spam filter. Then
make sure to publish your email on a webpage and maybe in some discussion
groups and wait.

Another more sophisticated option seems to do the job you want:
https://github.com/shiva-spamphttps://github.com/shiva-spampot/shiva I have
no experience with the software but you might want to setup a VM and try it
out.

hope that helps.
Maurice

On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 7:44 PM, Richard Forno <rforno at infowarrior.org>
wrote:

> A better way to collect spam would be to either setup a GMail account and
> subscribe it to anything and everything you can -- and then wait for the
> spam to roll in. LOL      Or, you could play with some of the spam corpus
> collections out there perhaps.  (ie http://csmining.org/index.php/
> spam-email-datasets-.html)
>
> -- rick
>
> > On May 12, 2017, at 14:33, Roderick Graham <
> roderickshawngraham at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > AOIR List:
> >
> > I am interested in collecting spam emails for analysis.  Does anyone know
> > of a "how to guide" or website that gives a tutorial on setting up a
> > "honeypot"?  I know that the basic idea is to create fake emails...but
> > after that I am kind of in the dark.
> >
> > Rod Graham
> >
> > Roderick Graham
> > Assistant Professor, Department of Sociology and Criminal Justice
> > Old Dominion University
> > 6012 Batten Arts and Letters
> >
> > Norfolk, VA 23508
> >
> > Phone: 757-683-5539