[Air-L] Accessing data from closed groups on FB?

Paul Henman p.henman at uq.edu.au
Tue Nov 7 17:18:12 PST 2017

Thanks Jeremy for your clarification.  I doubt you would be able to do that research in Australia under the NHMRC guidelines that all university research undergoes, without informed consent unless you can make a very strong case for it.  If it involves human subjects, then it requires ethical clearance.  In your case a closed group is unlikely to be regarded as public data, such as open FB sites or twitter.

Paul

Paul Henman
Associate Professor of Digital Sociology and Social Policy
Director of Bachelor of Social Science
School of Social Science
University of Queensland  QLD  4072
T: +61 7 3365 2765 | E: P.Henman at uq.edu.au | W: www.digitalsocialpolicy.com

Selected recent publications:
Critical encounters with performance measurement in social and public policy, Policy Studies, 37(6)
'When rating systems do not rate: Evaluating ERA's performance', Australia Universities Review, 59(1)
'Models of Disability Support Governance: a framework for assessing and reforming social policy', Australian Journal of Social Issues, 50(3)

UQ ALLY  - Supporting the diversity of sexuality and gender identity at UQ.
CRICOS Provider Number: 00025B