[Air-L] New book: Nonhuman Photography

Joanna Zylinska jo.zylinska at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 04:28:10 PST 2017

*Apologies for cross-posting*

Dear All,

I wanted to let you know about my new book, /Nonhuman Photography/,
which has just come out from the MIT Press. The book explores the new
vistas and visions we are facing in the current techno-political
conjuncture. It also interrogates the very “we” of the human standpoint,
while extending the scale of analysis to geological “deep time”.

There is quite a lot in the book on image sharing platforms, social
media, networked communication, digitization and algorithmic culture, so
hopefully it will be of interest to some members of this list. I’m
pasting the official blurb below.

You can take a look at the book’s companion website/gallery here:
https://www.nonhuman.photography/

And here’s the introduction, titled “Capturing the End of the World”:
https://www.nonhuman.photography/introduction/

Best,

Joanna

*NONHUMAN PHOTOGRAPHY* by Joanna Zylinska (MIT Press, 2017)

https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/nonhuman-photography

Today, in the age of CCTV, drones, medical body scans, and satellite
images, photography is increasingly decoupled from human agency and
human vision. In her book /Nonhuman Photography/, Joanna Zylinska offers
a new philosophy of photography, going beyond the human-centric view to
consider imaging practices from which the human is absent. Zylinska
argues further that even those images produced by humans, whether
artists or amateurs, entail a nonhuman, mechanical element—that is, they
involve the execution of technical and cultural algorithms that shape
our image-making devices as well as our viewing practices. At the same
time, she notes, photography is increasingly mobilized to document the
precariousness of the human habitat and tasked with helping us imagine a
better tomorrow. With its conjoined human-nonhuman agency and vision,
Zylinska claims, photography functions as both a form of control and a
life-shaping force.

Zylinska explores the potential of photography for developing new modes
of seeing and imagining, and presents images from her own photographic
practice. She also examines the challenges posed by digitization to
established notions of art, culture, and the media. In connecting
biological extinction and technical obsolescence, and discussing the
parallels between photography and fossilization, she proposes to
understand photography as a light-induced process of fossilization
across media and across time scales.

*Joanna Zylinska* is Professor of New Media and Communications and
Co-Head of the Department of Media and Communications at Goldsmiths,
University of London. The author of six books – including /Minimal
Ethics for the Anthropocene/
<http://www.openhumanitiespress.org/minimal-ethics.html> (Open
Humanities Press, 2014, e-version freely available
<http://www.openhumanitiespress.org/minimal-ethics.html>) and /Life
after New Media: Mediation as a Vital Process/ (with Sarah Kember; MIT
Press, 2012) – she is also a photographic artist and curator. In 2013
she was Artistic Director of Transitio_MX05 'Biomediations', the biggest
Latin American new media festival, which took place in Mexico City. Her
own practice involves experimenting with different kinds of photomedia.

--
Professor Joanna Zylinska
Co-Head of Department of Media and Communications

http://www.joannazylinska.net