No subject

Tue Nov 21 19:29:53 PST 2017

theory of simulation or Kittler's notion of "discourse networks," critics
have repeatedly grappled with the question of how technologies of writing,
printing, and publishing have historically influenced the creation and
reception of texts.  New media technologies have made these questions all
the more pressing, as our culture is currently witnessing a massive shift
in the way information is recorded, stored, and transmitted.  This special
issue seeks to understand how literary texts have historically responded to
and/or competed with other media forms, and to explore the possible future
of the concept and practice of writing and reading in our rapidly changing
world.  How do new technologies promise to transform writing and reading,
and how might they allow us to reconceive the ways in which meaning is
mediated by the material properties of texts?  Possible topics include, but
are not limited to, typewriters and writing machines, the printing press,
e-publishing, hypertext, new media writing, the history and future of the
book, media literacy, literature and film, the graphic novel, the
photo-essay, and the phono-text.

The Iowa Journal of Cultural Studies, a refereed academic journal produced
at the University of Iowa, is dedicated to publishing the best work in
cultural studies from both established scholars and emerging critics.
Unlike many other journals, we hope to avoid rigid orthodoxies and publish
the best of both theoretical work and applied criticism on a range of
issues.  Our goal is to present the best in contemporary criticism while
fostering conversations across disciplinary and ideological divides.

Please submit papers no later than June 15, 2002 to:

Iowa Journal of Cultural Studies
English Department
308 English Philosophy Building
University of Iowa
Iowa City, IA 52242-1492

Two hard copies of the manuscript and a disk, preferably in Microsoft Word
(for Windows), should be provided.  Manuscripts cannot be returned unless a
self-addressed envelope with US postage is provided.  Submissions should be
no longer than 30 pages and should be prepared following the MLA Style Manual.

For more information about contributing or subscribing to this journal,
please contact David Banash at david-banash at uiowa.edu.

Appearing in the Spring 2002 issue:

An interview with Andrew Ross on the present state and possible futures of
cultural studies

Barbra M. Kennedy and "Choreographies of the Screen"

J. B. Lewis on the possibilities of a shift "From Culturalism to
Transculturalism"

Brady Harrison on "The Cultural Offices of Joe Strummer"

Sarah Zupko on cultural studies, Popmatters, and Popcultures.com