[Air-L] Grad Studies in digital culture and research-creation at Concordia in Montreal

Bart Simon simonb at alcor.concordia.ca
Mon Nov 13 13:19:46 PST 2017

This is for students looking around for cool graduate programs...  a
little bit of blurbification about our Milieux Institute for Arts,
Culture and Technology. Wait... did I mention we are in Montreal!

pass this on to those you love...

Cheers,
Bart

Bart Simon, Associate Professor of Sociology
Director, Milieux Institute for Arts, Culture and Technology
Technoculture, Art and Games Research Centre (TAG)
Concordia University, Montreal

bart.simon [at] concordia.ca
http://milieux.concordia.ca/
http://www.tag.hexagram.ca

*The Milieux Institute <http://milieux.concordia.ca/> for Arts, Culture
and Technology at Concordia University* invites applications from MA,
MFA and PhD students with interests in digital culture, media arts and
design, creative computing, and/or technology and culture-related topics.

The Milieux Institute is home to over 130 graduate students and faculty,
located on two floors of mixed-use lab and studio spaces in the heart of
Montreal. Students accepted in any graduate program at Concordia are
welcome to apply to one several research clusters.

Prospective graduate students are invited to contact possible
supervisory faculty well ahead of any deadlines to discuss your
potential as a Milieux member as well as advice on a suitable program
application.

For more information about graduate programs at Concordia, including
submission deadlines, please see:
http://www.concordia.ca/admissions/graduate.html

*MILIEUX RESEARCH CLUSTERS*

Indigenous Futures
<http://milieux.concordia.ca/indigenous-futures/> explores how
Indigenous people are imagining the future of their families and
communities. We are interested in narratives, frameworks, and
technologies that help us articulate a continuum between our histories,
our present, and the seventh generation and beyond.

Media History <http://milieux.concordia.ca/media-history/> is an
interdisciplinary research center engaging with the historical
development of media change and communication. We focus on nascent, yet
robust sub-fields such as media archaeology, variantology, new
materialism, circulation theory, and technology writing.

Participatory Media
<http://milieux.concordia.ca/participatory-media/> is a hub for
research-creation work and co-design concerned with questions of social
justice and accessibility. We are committed tinkerers and makers who
develop prototypes, devices, workshops and outreach events that bring
people together through participatory methods in media creation,
discussion and dissemination.

Performing Arts Research Cluster
<http://milieux.concordia.ca/leparc-the-performing-arts-research-cluster/> (LePARC)
is focused on research and creation in the performing and temporal arts.
Our focus includes the creative process, new collaborative practices,
sound and music, acting, participatory performance, and intermedia
performance, among many others.

Post Image <http://milieux.concordia.ca/post-image-2/> brings together
artists and researchers involved in the creation, production, and
reflection around current and future image-based media. Our members
investigate the many aspects of visual representation around the themes
of identity, narrative, history/memory, cultural production and
environmental issues.

Speculative Life <http://milieux.concordia.ca/post-image-2/> works to
develop the systemic study and creation of emerging technologies with a
focus on complexity and futurity. We are artists, designers,
ethnographers and scholars engaging with questions related to
infrastructure, “smartness,” bacterial technologies, and the
planetary-scale transformations currently occurring as a result of human
action and technical developments.

Technoculture, Art and Games
<http://milieux.concordia.ca/technoculture-arts-and-games/> (TAG)
research centre has the mandate to develop and expand methods, models
and concepts for the analysis, critique and creation of digital games,
gameplay and game cultures, as well as to contribute to broader social,
political, technical and aesthetic conversations about the shape and
direction of contemporary digital culture.

Textiles and Materiality
<http://milieux.concordia.ca/technoculture-arts-and-games/> is a place
for critical innovation and research creation in textile arts, wearables
and material culture. Our members experiment with methods, processes and
transdisciplinary modes of thinking to shape the future of textiles,
material objects and the mediated body.

*Follow Milieux on Social Media*:
http://twitter.com/milieux_news
http://facebook.com/milieuxinstitute