[Air-L] CfP: Online Information Review special issue on "Social Media Mining for Journalism"

Bahareh Heravi bahareh.heravi at ucd.ie
Thu Nov 16 03:24:42 PST 2017

--------------------------- Call for Papers

Online Information Review (OIR)
Special Issue on "Social Media Mining for Journalism"

Journal: http://www.emeraldinsight.com/loi/oir
Special issue: http://bit.ly/oir-smj

[[ Impact Factor: 1.534 ]]

 **Submission Deadline: February 28, 2018**

AIMS AND SCOPE
--------------------------

The exponential growth of social media as a central communication practice,
and its agility in capturing and announcing breaking news events more
rapidly than traditional media, has changed the journalistic landscape:
social media has been adopted as a significant source by professional
journalists, and conversely, citizens are able to use social media as a
form of direct reportage. This brings along new opportunities for newsrooms
and journalists by providing new means for newsgathering through access to
a wealth of citizen reportage and updates about current affairs, as well as
an additional showcase for news dissemination.

As well as being a big opportunity and having changed the day-to-day
practices in the newsrooms, social media has introduced a number of
challenges when it comes to news gathering, verification, production,
reporting and dissemination. These include real time monitoring of streams,
event detection, noise filtering, contextualisation, source and content
verification,fact checking, annotation and archiving . The development of
more advanced algorithms and tools for journalists requires not only
furthering research in computational techniques, but also engaging more
closely with journalists to understand how they work, what problems they’re
facing when using social media, and how their day-to-day workflows can be
improved.

In this special issue we are looking for contributions that address a
variety of research questions from both theoretical and practical
perspectives. For example, how can we best utilise social media for news
production? What technologies can we use for breaking news detection,
filtering, aggregation and contextualisation? How can we assess the
veracity of social media content and sources? What moral, legal, and
ethical issues arise when professional journalists use social media as a
source? How can we organise, interpret, and retain a record of social media
around news events? What does this record contribute to our larger
understanding of news, and the writing of news?

TOPICS OF INTEREST
--------------------------------

Topics of interest include (but are not limited to):

* Newsgathering from social media
  ** Citizen journalism
  ** Detection of eyewitnesses and topic experts
  ** Event detection in social media
  ** Social media content curation
  ** Fact-checking and verification of sources and content
  ** Credibility assessment
  ** Social media and fake news

* Social media news analytics
  ** Social media analytics for news
  ** Analysis of news diffusion in social media
  ** Visualisation of news and social media
  ** Social media to measure public opinion on news
  ** Analysis of the effect of fake news on public opinion

* Data and Computational journalism
  ** Robot journalism with social media as a source
  ** Algorithmic accountability and transparency
  ** Data driven storytelling
  ** Data driven investigative journalism

* Ethics and digital citizenship
  ** Ethical issues concerning social media newsgathering and eyewitness
media
  ** Social media news audiences and network gatekeeping
  ** Social media and censorship

GUEST EDITORS
-------------------------

* Arkaitz Zubiaga, University of Warwick, UK
* Bahareh R. Heravi, University College Dublin, Ireland
* Jisun An and Haewoon Kwak, Qatar Computing Research Institute, Qatar

IMPORTANT DATES
-----------------------------
* Papers Due: February 28, 2018
* First round decisions made: 25 April, 2018
* Revised manuscripts due: 23 May, 2018
* Final decisions made: 27 June, 2018
* Publication Date: Summer 2018--

----------------------------
Dr. Bahareh R. Heravi
Assistant Professor
Postgraduate Director
Director of Data Journalism CPD
School of Information and Communication Studies
University College Dublin
Bahareh.net | @Bahareh360

What's new:
New Book: Data Journalism: Past, Present and Future: bit.ly/ddjbook17
CfP: Social Media Mining for Journalism, Online Information Review
bit.ly/oir-smj
Proceedings of the European Data and Computational Journalism Conference:
datajconf.com
UCD Data Journalism Professional Certificate Programme:
http://bit.ly/ucddatajournalismcpd