[Air-L] Help set the agenda for RightsCon Toronto May 16-18, 2018 (Call for Proposals open until November 24, 2017)

Becky Lentz roberta.lentz at mcgill.ca
Thu Nov 16 06:57:54 PST 2017

Please post/forward as appropriate and excuse any unavoidable
cross-postingsŠ

Hello everyone,

You are invited to RightsCon! And I'll probably send this to several lists
you're on, so you'll get a few opportunities to read this important message!

We don't just want you to attend our event on human rights in the digital
age. We¹re inviting you to set the agenda at RightsCon Toronto
<https://www.rightscon.org/>  (May 16-18, 2018) by designing and building a
session through our Call for Proposals
<https://www.rightscon.org/submission/> , open until November 24, 2017.
Julie Owono and I are co-chairing the Internet Freedom, Network Disruptions,
and Censorship track and need your proposals to strengthen our movement
against censorship! But there are many more ways to get involved...

Why lead a RightsCon session?

RightsCon is home to the world¹s leading community of movers and shakers in
the digital age. The event brings together policy makers, business leaders,
government representatives, technologists, campaigners, and human rights
defenders from around the world. RightsCon Toronto is set to be our most
biggest and most impactful event yet, with over 2000 participants from 110
countries and 750 organizations.

Leading a session is the best way to make a direct impact at RightsCon: from
identifying and mapping problems, to connecting with the right allies and
partners, and workshopping solutions and ultimately driving change. By
getting involved in the program and setting the agenda, you will gain expert
insight, build new strategic partnerships, and influence global norms.

What does a RightsCon session look like?

Timely, engaging, outcomes-oriented, and creative. We suggest you start by
reading our submission guide <https://rightscon.org/submissionguide> , as it
offers helpful tips and suggestions for what makes a great proposal! There
are many different formats you can choose from:

*
* Need to get our community together to problem-solve a major challenge?
Design a Fishbowl.
*
*
* Want to launch or showcase a new internet freedom product? Do a Tech Demo.
*
*
* Have a specific policy or advocacy strategy you want to map out? Lead a
Workshop.
*
*
* Looking to give a crash course on a recent development in your field? Give
a Lightning Talk.
*

There¹s no one-size-fits-all approach in setting the RightsCon agenda, but
the key to a successful session is picking the right format to engage
participants and achieve your objectives. Still not sure which format is
best? We¹re here to help, email us at conference at accessnow.org
<mailto:conference at accessnow.org> .

Attending RightsCon 2018

Tickets are on sale now <https://www.rightscon.org/#tickets>  in limited
Early Registration pricing! To celebrate the start of ticket sales, we¹re
offering another 20% -- just use the promo code OFF20. These tickets tend to
run out fast, and will soon return to regular pricing! Be sure to act now if
you want to get the best deal on your ticket for RightsCon Toronto.

Speakers, Local Champions, and Community Participants

This year, we¹re strengthening our RightsCon community in a few ways,
including with a new local champions initiative. You can check out our
community page <https://www.rightscon.org/community/>  to learn more. In the
meantime, here¹s a sample of who you can expect to see and meet at RightsCon
Toronto!

*
* Tara Denham, Director, Democracy Unit, Global Affairs Canada
*
*
* Harlem Désir, Representative on Freedom of the Media at the Organization
for Security and Cooperation in Europe
*
*
* Amira Elghawaby, National Representative, Digital Communications at the
Canadian Labour Congress, Contributing Editor & Board Member at Rabble
*
*
* Annie Game, Executive Director, IFEX
*
*
* Elinor Buxton, Senior Cyber Research Analyst, Foreign and Commonwealth
Office, UK
*
*
* Michael Posner, Director at the NYU Stern Center for Business and Human
Rights
*
*
* John Ralston Saul, Co-Chair, Institute for Canadian Citizenship, author
*
*
* Kelsey Merkley, Public Lead, Creative Commons Canada
*
*
* Julie Owono, Head of Africa Desk, Internet Sans Frontières
*
*
* Kyung-sin Park, Director, Open Net Korea
*
*
* Fereidoon Bashar, Co-Director, ASL19
*
*
* Nighat Dad, Executive Director, Digital Rights Foundation
*
*
* Ronaldo Lemos, Director of the Institute for Technology and Society of Rio
*
*
* Dmitri Vitaliev, Director, equalit.ie
*
*
* Farhaan Ladhani, CEO and Co-Founder at Perennial
*
*
* David Kaye, UN Special Rapporteur on the promotion and protection of the
right to freedom of opinion and expression
*
*
* Walid Al-Saqaf, Board Trustee for the Internet Society (ISOC)
*
*
* Eileen Donahoe, Executive Director & Adjunct Professor at the Global
Digital Policy Incubator at Stanford University¹s Center for Democracy,
Development and the Rule of Law
*
*
* Alison Gibbins, Tech Community Engagement Lead, Royal Bank of Canada
*
*
* Sarah Saska, CEO, Feminuity
*
*
* Camille Francois, Principal Researcher, Jigsaw
*
*
* Judith Lichtenberg, Executive Director at Global Network Initiative
*
*
* Hans de Zwart, Director, Bits of Freedom
*
*
* Gabriella Coleman, Wolfe Chair in Scientific and Technological Literacy,
McGill University
*
*
* Ron Deibert, Director of the Citizen Lab, author, and co-founder of
Psiphon
*
*
* Alice Klein, CEO, NOW Magazine
*
*
* Laura Tribe, Executive Director, Open Media
*
*
* Michael Geist, Professor, University of Ottawa
*
*
* Plus many more!
*

We¹d love for you to join us at this important event. If you have any
questions about your session proposal, registration, or our ticket discounts
and special rates, please let us know, by contacting me or our RightsCon
Director, Nick Dagostino, at conference at accessnow.org
<mailto:conference at accessnow.org> .

Best regards,
 Peter