[Air-L] copyright

Dan L. Burk dburk at uci.edu
Sat Nov 4 04:19:32 PDT 2017

Good points, especially the reminder about data privacy.

I might disagree with Hans just a bit on what the ToS terms do or allow.
 Copyright involves multiple exclusive rights. For example, the Twitter
language below covers most or all of the exclusive rights of a copyright
holder with regard to Twitter, but only specifically covers the "making
available" or right of communication to the public, which in the U.S.
would be the right of distribution or of transmission, with regard to
subscribers.  So with regard to subscribers, the language does not
necessarily grant permissions for rights such as the right of
adaptation.  So I don't think you can safely say that someone who tweets
material has given permission to further "use" the content; the terms
allow Twitter and its formal licensees to do pretty much anything with
the content, and allow others to re-transmit the content (e.g., retweet)
but many uses (like incorporation into a book) will not be explicitly
covered by the language below.

Licenses for some such third party uses might be implied from the fact
of the public posting, but then you have to start relying on what the
court thinks is a reasonable inference from the circumstances.

Also, the ToS may or may not be enforceable in some jurisdictions where
a claim may be brought -- for example, some exclusive rights in
copyright and related rights cannot be contractually waived in some
European countries, ToS or no ToS.

All of this provides endless material for final examinations in my
classes.  Life is good.

Cheers, DLB

--

Dan L. Burk