[Air-L] Accessing data from closed groups on FB?

Ingmar Weber iweber at hbku.edu.qa
Wed Nov 8 05:39:18 PST 2017

The only way I know of accessing anonymized, aggregated FB data from private accounts or for private attributes - though probably not for closed groups - is via FB's advertising API and its audience estimates method.
https://developers.facebook.com/docs/marketing-api/reference/ad-account/reachestimate/
Using that method you can ask queries of the type "how many FB users match criteria X". The targeting criteria can include interests on FB, education level, political orientation, income, marital status, ... (see https://developers.facebook.com/docs/marketing-api/targeting-specs/).

I've used this data source quite a bit in my own research (see https://ingmarweber.de/publications/) in particular as a "digital census" where we're working with demographic researchers to estimate stocks of migrants or birth rates or gender inequalities (see http://data2x.org/big-data-challenge-awards/#digital).

If you'd like to use these reach estimates, there's a Python wrapper at https://github.com/maraujo/pySocialWatcher and an R wrapper at https://github.com/ccgilroy/r-estimates-fb-ads.

Also see "Not-so-obvious Online Data Sources for Demographic Research"
https://www.slideshare.net/IngmarWeber/notsoobvious-online-data-sources-for-demographic-research

Best,
Ingmar