[Air-L] internet infrastructures?

Gianluigi Negro gianluigi.negro at usi.ch
Thu Nov 23 11:06:26 PST 2017

Dear colleagues many thanks for this inspiring conversation!
I just take the chance to share with you a reminder on the conference Computer  Networks Histories: Local, National and Transnational Perspectives that will take place at USI -Università della Svizzera italiana, Lugano, Switzerland  14-15 December 2017. The event will be open to public.

Best wishes

Gianluigi Negro
Ph.D – Research Fellow
–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Università della Svizzera italiana
Faculty of Communication Sciences
Institute of Media and Journalism
China Media Observatory
–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Main Building
Office 110.1 (Level 1)
Via Buffi 13
6900 Lugano
Switzerland
+41 58 666 4511
gianluigi.negro at usi.ch
http://usi.to/nit
@giginegro
–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
China Media Observatory
http://www.chinamediaobs.org
@usi_cmo
Facebook USI.CMO
Editor at http://www.chinoiresie.info

Leggi le ultime notizie sull'USI su USI-Flash

The association Geschichte und Informatik, the Institute of Media and Journalism & China Media Observatory at USI Università della Svizzera italiana, and infoclio.ch are proud to announce the program for the International Conference *Computer Networks Histories: Local, National and Transnational Perspectives*

The conference aims to develop new frameworks and a space of discussion  on the historical role of computer networks; 28 speakers coming from  13 countries will present and discuss the multiple trajectories of  computer networks histories worldwide. There is no conference-fee and the event is open to the public.

Keynote Speakers: Prof. Benjamin Peters (University of Tulsa) & Hu Yong (Peking University)

Conference website: www.cnh.usi.ch
Programme: http://www.cnh.usi.ch/programme
CFP: http://www.cnh.usi.ch/call
Conference email address: nethistories at gmail.com

*Conference Programme*
*14th December 2017 USI - Università della Svizzera italiana*

8:00 / 9:00 Registration / Introduction speech

9:00 / 10:00 Keynote Speaker - Hu Yong, Peking University

10:30 / 12:00 Panel 1 / Focus on China - Chair: Hu Yong, Peking University Bo An, Yale University Infrastructure, amateurism, and radical Networking: FidoNet in China (1995-1998)

Liu Jinhe, Tsinghua University
Regime evolution of China's regulation on transborder flow of data:From 1994 to 2017

Clément Renaud, École Polytechnique de Lausanne Grégory Bahde, Université Jean Monnet St Etienne From Davos to Beijing : the historical trajectory of the concept of sovereignty in Internet territories

12:00 / 13:00 Lunch

13:00 / 14:30 Panel 2 / The legacy of the 1980s’ - Chair: Enrico Natale, Infoclio.ch Camille Paloque-Berges, CNAM - Conservatoire National des Arts et Métiers Gerard Alberts, University of Amsterdam Beyond the protocol wars: 1980s user cultures in Dutch inter-net nodes

Valérie Schafer, ISCC – Institut des Sciences de la Communication Benjamin Thierry, Université Paris Sorbonne The Internet and the Web as a “Super Minitel”

Kevin Driscoll, University of Virginia
Thou shalt love thy BBS: a framework for the moderation of online communities

15:00 / 16:30 Panel 3 / European Histories - Chair: Christiane Sibille, Geschichte und Informatik Mato Brautovic, University of Dubrovnik Origins and development of Internet in Croatia: times of transition from communism to democracy and war for independence

Félix Tréguer, ISCC - Institut des Sciences de la Communication Dominique Trudel, Concordia University From internet access provider to political advocacy: the history of the French data network

Luciano Lenzini, Fabio Gadducci, Giuseppe Lettieri, University of Pisa On the Italian pioneering network projects: issues and challenges

17:00 / 18:30 Visit at the Swiss National Supercomputing Centre (CSCS)

20:00 Conference Dinner

*15th December 2017 – USI - Università della Svizzera italiana*

9:00 / 10:00
Keynote Speaker - Benjamin Peters, University of Tulsa The network and the historian: opportunities, challenges, surprises, disobedience

10:30 / 12:00 Panel 4 / Infrastructures – Chair: Simone Natale, Loughborough Univ.
Christian Henrich-Franke, University of Siegen Computer networks on copper cables

Paolo Magaudda, University of Padova
The rising of Tor and the history of a network “in the dark”

Sebastian Gieβmann, University of Siegen Networking with/out computing? Remarks on the longue durée of networking practices

12:00 / 13:00 Lunch

13:00/14:30 Panel 5 / A taste of BRICS’ histories - Chair: Benjamin Peters, University of Tulsa Sophie Toupin, McGill University Hacking Apartheid

Marcelo Savio de Carvalho, IBM Brazil
Henrique Luiz Kukierman, Federal University of Rio The dawn of the internet in Brazil

Manushi, Indian Institute of Mass Communication Towards Digital India: Internet in India

15:00 / 16:30 Panel 6 / Networking Memories - Chair: Marco Colombetti, USI Raúl Carnota, FCEN Argentina Lucas de Almeida Pereira, UNESP Brazil
SHIALC: History and memory of computer science in Latin America

Guido Koller, Swiss Federal Archives
Of men and register. The foreigner’s central register in Switzerland – An early digital federal administrative network

Benedetta Campanile, University of Bari
Robert Fano, an Italian computer scientist from Project Mac to Internet

16:30 / 17:00 Closing Remarks