[Air-L] Non-software uses of GitHub

Johan Richer johan.richer at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 10:41:20 PST 2017

*DB.nomics <http://db.nomics.world/>* uses GitLab (open-source, self-hosted
alternative to GitHub) to store and manage *macroeconomic data*. Scripts
<https://git.nomics.world/dbnomics-fetchers> download datasets from sources
(IMF, World Bank, etc., more than 50 providers are planned) which are stored
into repositories <https://git.nomics.world/dbnomics-source-data>,
then converted
into JSON and CSV files <https://git.nomics.world/dbnomics-json-data>, then
indexed and published via the API to the free public website (new UI in
development <https://next.nomics.world/>).
As far as I know this is the first time Git is used as a system to store
and manage as much volume for an open data project.

The Datahub Core Data <http://datahub.io/docs/core-data> project is
similar, using GitHub <https://github.com/datasets/>, but with less volume.