[Air-L] Columbia Univ. "Plain Text" event today

Isabelle Zaugg isabellezaugg at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 2 10:05:38 PDT 2017

Dear All,
Writing to warmly invite you to an event today at Columbia University (see below).
Isabelle

Isabelle A. Zaugg, PhD
Postdoctoral Research Scholar
Mellon-Sawyer Seminar in Global Language Justice
Institute for Comparative Language and Society
Columbia University

Thursday, 2 November 2017 at 6:15pm
The Heyman Center, Second Floor Common Room<https://heymancenter.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8cc509338c6ddce0ed48155bc&id=a0ea6947a8&e=e307c502f6>, Columbia University<https://heymancenter.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8cc509338c6ddce0ed48155bc&id=a0ea6947a8&e=e307c502f6>

New Books in the Arts & Sciences
 —panel discussions celebrating recent work by the Columbia Faculty

Plain Text: The Poetics of Computation<https://heymancenter.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8cc509338c6ddce0ed48155bc&id=590bfd9219&e=e307c502f6>
by Dennis Tenen

This book challenges the ways we read, write, store, and retrieve information in the digital age. Computers—from electronic books to smart phones—play an active role in our social lives. Our technological choices thus entail theoretical and political commitments. Dennis Tenen takes up today's strange enmeshing of humans, texts, and machines to argue that our most ingrained intuitions about texts are profoundly alienated from the physical contexts of their intellectual production. Drawing on a range of primary sources from both literary theory and software engineering, he makes a case for a more transparent practice of human–computer interaction. Plain Text is thus a rallying call, a frame of mind as much as a file format. It reminds us, ultimately, that our devices also encode specific modes of governance and control that must remain available to interpretation.

Dennis Tenen is Assistant Professor of English and Comparative Literature at Columbia University, where he is a Co-Founder of Columbia's Group for Experimental Research Methods in the Humanities.

Panel Chair:
Sarah Cole<https://heymancenter.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8cc509338c6ddce0ed48155bc&id=8e0263a0bc&e=e307c502f6>, Professor of English and Comparative Literature, Columbia University

Discussants:
Brian Larkin<https://heymancenter.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8cc509338c6ddce0ed48155bc&id=35a1a2515b&e=e307c502f6>, Director of Graduate Studies, Barnard College, Columbia University
N. Katherine Hayles<https://heymancenter.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8cc509338c6ddce0ed48155bc&id=ed75f5a9c3&e=e307c502f6>, James B. Duke Professor of Literature, Duke University
Nicholas Dames<https://heymancenter.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8cc509338c6ddce0ed48155bc&id=b3c29d95c3&e=e307c502f6>, Theodore Kahan Professor of Humanities, English and Comparative Literature, Columbia University

Sponsored by:

The Society of Fellows and Heyman Center for the Humanities<https://heymancenter.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8cc509338c6ddce0ed48155bc&id=5a683c9b5b&e=e307c502f6>

Dean of the Humanities, Arts and Sciences

Dean of Social Sciences, Arts and Sciences