[Air-L] CFP: Death Online Research Symposium

Stine Gotved gotved at itu.dk
Fri Nov 3 07:30:56 PDT 2017

The 4th Symposium of the International Death Online Research Network will take place at The University of Hull, UK, August 15 – 17, 2018.

The symposium will consolidate the links between existing and new members of the network and provide opportunities for the discussion of ongoing and new orientations in the interdisciplinary field of death online. The meeting will explore the ways in which online connectivity is changing how, when and where we engage with death and dying and how we invest death-related practices with meaning in the online environment. We warmly welcome new members to the network as well as old friends.

* Opening Keynote Address: Professor Charles Ess, University of Oslo, Norway.

Themes and perspectives of the symposium:
For this 4th Death Online Research Symposium we invite abstracts for oral presentations of new, recently completed, or ongoing research (including ideas for future academic research) on all kinds of death-related online practices. We welcome qualitative and quantitative work which expands our understanding of the current and future trends in death online research from a variety of disciplines, addressing any of the following themes:

* Digitally mediated dying and narrative
* Digitally mediated grieving and memorialising
* Death online and embodied experience
* Digital afterlife,, post - mortem identity and digital legacy
* Technological developments in the death care industry
* Digital immortality
* Online vs offline experiences
* Theorising online life and death
* Ethical challenges for studying death online.

The symposium will host a special workshop for participating Post Graduate students and early career researchers. We particularly welcome submissions from these groups. All submissions will be peer-reviewed, and we envisage publication of selected full papers in a special issue of an academic journal in the field as well as a collection of writing from the symposium in an open-access online platform.

Important information ell
Submission format: 300 word abstract
Submission deadline: March 1st, 2018
Submission feedback: April 1st, 2018
Registration open: May 1st, 2018
Registration fee: TBC

All submissions and en quiries should b e submitted to Dr Jo Bell (j.bell(at)hull.ac.uk)
marked ‘Death Online Research Symposium Submission’ in the subject field. Abstracts should be no longer than 300 words. Please include full contact info (author name, institutional/organisational affiliation and email address) in the submission. Submissions will be anonymised by the organisers before review.

If you want to be a member of the network, please contact Stine Gotved directly (mail above) for further information.