[Air-L] internet infrastructures?

Alette Schoon A.Schoon at ru.ac.za
Tue Nov 14 01:45:58 PST 2017

Dear Zoetanya

I would like to recommend two texts that deal with access to internet infrastructure in the global south:

The edited collection: Postcolonial Piracy: Media production and distribution in the global south, edited by Eckstein and Schwarz (2016), presents a great overview of scholars like Ravi Sundaram, Lawrence Liang and Ramon Lobato who have explored crumbling and unequal communication and media distribution infrastructures in developing countries. They argue that the infrastructures associated with copyright infringement or "piracy" become the key digital infrastructures in such spaces to provide marginalised people with access to media and information.
The book is licenced under Creative Commons and you can download it here : https://publishup.uni-potsdam.de/files/7218/ppr89.pdf

I would also recommend Jonathan Donner's book on the mobile internet, called After Access: Inclusion, Development and a More Mobile Internet (2015), which is particularly relevant as the majority of mobile phone users now reside in the developing world. It unpacks the differentiated meanings associated with "the internet", distinguishing between how access changes meaning depending on the digital infrastructures and devices available to the user. He argues that conflating streaming movies on an always-on internet on a personal computer with text-based intermittent messaging on a mobile phone app, leads to an analytical muddiness in terms of defining what is meant in terms of  "access" to the internet. This lack of clarity is particularly problematic in terms of developmental goals of providing "access" to the disconnected. You can find a copy here: https://mitpress.mit.edu/after-access

Best wishes
Alette

Alette Schoon
Senior Lecturer