[Air-L] Non-software uses of GitHub

Felix Victor Münch felix.muench at qut.edu.au
Wed Nov 22 19:36:44 PST 2017

Hi Jim,

Software Carpentry, an Australian initiative to teach researchers programming, is hosting and collaborating on their lessons on Github: https://github.com/swcarpentry

Also, Brenda Moon and me work on a DMRC workshop regarding data security and privacy for researchers using Github, and the slides are hosted there as well:

https://github.com/qut-dmrc/encrypt_all_the_things
https://qut-dmrc.github.io/encrypt_all_the_things/#/

To create presentations with frameworks such as reveal.js, collaborating on them, and also have them hosted there is a pretty common non-software use of Github I'd say.

There is also, for example, the cryptoparty handbook on Github: https://github.com/cryptoparty/handbook

And, last but not least, I'm writing my thesis with pandoc, version controlling it on Github, in a private repo so far though ;)

Cheers,

Felix

Felix Victor Münch
PhD Candidate @ QUT Digital Media Research Centre