[Air-L] [AIR] Methodology for research on hashtag and collective action?

Elena Pavan elena.pavan at sns.it
Thu Nov 9 07:15:38 PST 2017

Ciao Emmanuel,

you can find useful things also the social movement studies literature.

to ground my empirical work i also made several times state of the art,
which i think you can lean on (sorry for self-promotion ... let's take
this as an occasion to get to know all of us more closely...)

Pavan, Elena (2017). “The integrative power of online collective action
networks beyond protest. Exploring social media use in the process of
institutionalization”. Social Movement Studies vol 16(4): 433-446 [ISSN:
1474-2837].

Pavan, Elena. 2014. “Embedding Digital Communications within Collective
Action Networks. A Multidimensional Network Approach”. Mobilization: An
International Journal, 19(4):441-455 [ISSN: 1086-671X]

Pavan, Elena. 2013. “Collective action and Web 2.0. An exploratory
network analysis of Twitter use during campaigns”. Sociologica 3/2013.
Bologna: Il Mulino [ISSN: 1971-8853].

hope this helps

ciao

e+

Il 09/11/2017 15:51, Yang, Guobin ha scritto:
> I’d recommend the following article:
>
> Clark, R. (2016). “Hope in a hashtag”: The discursive activism of #WhyIStayed. Feminist Media Studies, 16(5): 788-804.
>
> Best,
> Guobin Yang
>
> On 11/9/17, 7:16 AM, "Air-L on behalf of Emmanuel Dabo" <air-l-bounces at listserv.aoir.org on behalf of emmanuel at emmanueldabo.com> wrote:
>
>      Hello everyone,
>      I am leading a research entitled 'Hashtags and collective action in Côte
>      d'Ivoire'. Côte d'Ivoire is a western African countries where a lot of young
>      people are very active on social media. The purpose of the study is to
>      understand:
>       * how people create some hashtags?
>       * how they appropriate them?
>       * what could the appropriation of any hashtags influence media and policy
>         agenda?
>
>      According to you, what methodology or literature could be useful for me in this
>      research?
>      Thanks in advance for your feedback.
>      Kind regards
>      Emmanuel DABOChargé de communication - Rédacteur web - Blogueur+225 78 13 97 27
>      www.emmanueldabo.com
>      Le blog d'Emmanuel DABO
>      Skype : emmanuel.dabo1Sur Instagram et Twitter: @EmmanuelDAB
>      Sent with Mixmax
>
>      Join the Association of Internet Researchers:
>      http://www.aoir.org/

Elena Pavan, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor
Istituto di Scienze Umane e Sociali
Scuola Normale Superiore
Palazzo Strozzi - Piazza degli Strozzi, 1
50123 Firenze
email: elena.pavan at sns.it
telephone: +39 055 2673330

Adjunct Professor
Dipartimento Sociologia e Ricerca Sociale
Università di Trento
via Verdi 26
38122 Trento
email: elena.pavan at unitn.it