[Air-L] Two TT/T Positions in Communication Studies at Northeastern University

Meryl Alper m.alper at northeastern.edu
Thu Oct 5 10:30:46 PDT 2017

Hi all,

I'm writing with news of two open positions this year in the Department of
Communication Studies at Northeastern University in Boston: one senior hire
in communication and technology, and one junior hire in advertising and
strategic communication (descriptions below).

Regards,
Meryl

* * *

The Communication Studies Department at Northeastern University invites
applicants for two positions that reflect our department’s ongoing
commitment to understanding and enhancing the effectiveness of
communication systems, processes, and infrastructure as they relate to
public life, civil society, and professional practice.

Position #1: Advertising and/or Strategic Communication (entry level)

https://neu.peopleadmin.com/postings/51237

Job Description: The Department of Communication Studies at Northeastern
University in Boston, MA, invites applications for a full-time,
tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor specializing in
advertising and/or strategic communication. We welcome a variety of
disciplinary and methodological approaches, and we are particularly
interested in candidates who engage with complementary fields such as
journalism and business. The individual filling this position will teach an
undergraduate course in Advertising Practices, and take the lead in
developing related strategic communication/advertising courses at the
undergraduate level.

Qualifications: Successful candidates must have a Ph.D. in communication or
a closely affiliated discipline by the start date of August 2018 and a
nationally distinguished record of research, college-level teaching, and
service, or the demonstrated potential for such. Practical experience in
advertising/strategic communication is highly desirable.

Position #2: Communication and Technology (senior level)

https://neu.peopleadmin.com/postings/51274

Job Description: The Department of Communication Studies at Northeastern
University in Boston, MA invites applications for a full-time,
tenure-on-entry position at the rank of Associate or Full Professor
specializing in communication and technology. We are seeking candidates
whose research focuses on digital communication, including the design, use,
effects, and societal implications of online, mobile, and social media
communication. We welcome a variety of disciplinary and methodological
approaches, and we are particularly interested in candidates who can work
across disciplines, contributing to Northeastern’s Network Science
Initiative, NU Lab for Text Maps and Networks, Global Resilience
Initiative, Cybersecurity and Privacy Institute, and other relevant
campus-wide programs. The individual filling this position will teach
courses at the undergraduate and graduate level, with an emphasis on
digital communication, network science, data visualization, online
communities, social media, and/or related topics.

Qualifications: Successful candidates must have a Ph.D. in communication or
a closely affiliated discipline and a nationally distinguished record of
research, college-level teaching, and service, appropriate for appointment
at the rank of Associate or Full Professor.

--
*Meryl Alper*
Assistant Professor
m.alper at northeastern.edu
merylalper.com
Author of *Giving Voice: Mobile Communication, Disability, and Inequality* (MIT
Press <https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/giving-voice>, 2017) and *Digital
Youth with Disabilities *(MIT Press
<https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/digital-youth-disabilities>, 2014)