[Air-L] coding standards, suggestions for categorizing ethical frameworks in open-ended questionnaires?

Charles M. Ess c.m.ess at media.uio.no
Tue Oct 24 03:30:48 PDT 2017

Dear AoIRists,

One of our MA students is attempting to (qualitatively) analyze
platform, especially as expressed or indexed in responses to open-ended
questions (as part of a larger questionnaire).

The student is attempting to discern what ethical frameworks, if any,
come into play as suggested / evinced in the responses - e.g., more
utilitarian, more care ethics, more virtue ethics, and so on.

I think we can figure out a good way to look for and record responses
along these lines - but of course, it's nicer if we don't have to
reinvent a wheel or two that someone else has already developed and
refined, etc.

Any tips, tricks and suggestions along these lines would be very
gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance,
- charles ess
--
Professor in Media Studies
Department of Media and Communication

Editor, The Journal of Media Innovations
<https://www.journals.uio.no/index.php/TJMI/>

Postboks 1093
Blindern 0317
Oslo, Norway