[Air-L] Research overiview on lgbtq use of social media?

Lik Sam Chan liksamch at usc.edu
Sun Oct 15 16:53:47 PDT 2017

Hi Evelina,

This is an very interesting topic. Earlier I have published a literature
review of LGBTQ and communication studies in the International Journal of
Communication (http://ijoc.org/index.php/ijoc/article/view/6697/2070). It
is not about social media specifically but I noted only 6.8% of the studies
reviewed studied social media. In the course of research, I did not see any
research overview on social media and LGBTQ - so you may have to start
building your own. I can imagine this to be an excellent overview article
in itself. However, you may have to delineate what social media mean. A lot
of the recent studies on LGBTQ and social media is about dating/hookup
apps. Earlier studies examined Facebook and other social networking sites.
Older studies looked at online forums or blogs. These are or are not
considered as "social media," depending on your definition of social media.

Regards,
Sam

Lik Sam CHAN
Ph.D. Candidate │Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism, USC
liksamchan.com | @liksamchan | usc.academia.edu/LSChan