[Air-L] New Book: “Internet Research Ethics for the Social Age: New Challenges, Cases, and Contexts”

Michael T Zimmer zimmerm at uwm.edu
Thu Oct 5 12:53:03 PDT 2017

Dear AoIR colleagues,

We are extremely happy to announce the publication of “Internet Research Ethics for the Social Age: New Challenges, Cases, and Contexts“, co-edited by Michael Zimmer (University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee) and Katharina Kinder-Kurlanda (GESIS Leibniz Institute for the Social Sciences), published in the Digital Formations series by Peter Lang.

Peter Lang: https://www.peterlang.com/view/product/82023
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Internet-Research-Ethics-Social-Age/dp/143314266X/

We were privileged to work with over 40 world-class contributors — many of whom are part of the AoIR community – and we couldn’t be happier with the results.

From our introduction:

> Our goal with "Internet Research Ethics for the Social Age: New Challenges, Cases, and Contexts" is to directly engage with these discussions and debates, and to help stimulate new ways to think about – and work towards resolving – the novel eth- ical dilemmas we face as internet and social media-based research continues to evolve. The chapters within this volume – which present novel ethical challenges, case studies, and emerging research contexts from a collection of global scholars and researchers – accomplishes this in three critical ways:
>
> First, as internet tools and social platforms continue to evolve at a rapid pace, Internet Research Ethics for the Social Age highlights new research contexts and case studies that introduce readers to unique uses – and related ethical concerns – of the current state-of-the-art technologies and platforms, including crowdsourcing on Amazon Mechanical Turk, the health sharing platform PatientsLikeMe, new forms of data visualization and facial recognition platforms, and automated tools for flagging potentially suicidal behavior online.
>
> Second, Internet Research Ethics for the Social Age recognizes the broad disci- plinary terrain impacted by internetbased research, and brings together discussions of ethical issues from the familiar domains of the social sciences (such as commu- nication studies, sociology, and psychology) alongside perspectives from computer science, data science, gender studies, museum studies, and philosophy. The result is a more inclusive umbrella of domains that can learn from each other and collab- orate to confront the challenges of internet research ethics.
>
> Third, Internet Research Ethics for the Social Age provides a global approach to the challenges of internet research ethics, bringing together contributions from researchers in diverse regulatory environments, as well as those dealing with the complex ethical dimensions of researching platforms and users in geographically diverse locations. Global regions and cultures represented within the volume include Australia, Canada, Denmark, Germany, the Netherlands, New Zealand, South Asia, Spain, Sweden, Thailand, the United Kingdom, and the United States.

Join us for a roundtable session at AoIR2017 in Estonia where we will officially launch the book: https://www.conftool.com/aoir2017/index.php?page=browseSessions&form_session=285&presentations=show

We will have a few extra copies on hand for sale, and the proceeds will go toward the AoIR Conference Scholarship Fund.

Best,
Michael Zimmer & Katharina Kinder-Kurlanda

--
Michael Zimmer, PhD
Associate Professor, School of Information Studies

e: zimmerm at uwm.edu
t: @michaelzimmer
w: www.michaelzimmer.org