[Air-L] Two tenure track positions in HCI at UC Irvine

Paul Dourish jpd at ics.uci.edu
Thu Oct 5 20:01:18 PDT 2017

Two tenure-track positions are opening in Informatics at UC Irvine. Details below. I’ll be at the conference later this month, and so I’m happy to talk with people there about the department or the hopes for this recruitment, or we can arrange another time to talk if that’s easier.

—p.

The Department of Informatics in the Donald Bren School of Information and Computer Sciences at the University of California, Irvine invites applications for two tenure-track positions in human-computer interaction and design.

The search is comprehensive and we encourage applicants from a broad range of disciplines to apply. The department is highly interdisciplinary with faculty backgrounds in anthropology, computer science, design, education, health informatics, humanities, media arts, organizational studies, and psychology. With five CHI Academy members on our faculty, we are known for innovative research and education in human-computer interaction and design, as well as in affiliated areas such as computer-supported cooperative work, digital media and learning, game development, and science and technology studies. We seek to further bolster our reputation with the recruitment of two new scholars who will thrive in and add to this environment.

Our search is intentionally broad. We appreciate scholarship of all varieties, whether empirical, technological, methodological, or analytical in nature.

The University of California, Irvine is consistently ranked as a top ten public university by U.S. News and World Report, and has been identified by the New York Times as No. 1 among U.S. universities that do the most for low-income students. UC Irvine is located in Orange County, four miles from the Pacific Ocean and 45 miles south of Los Angeles. Irvine is one of the safest communities in the U.S. and offers a very pleasant year-round climate, numerous recreational and cultural opportunities, and one of the highest-ranked public school systems in the nation.

Applicants must have a Ph.D. or equivalent degree in a relevant field and exhibit a compelling research portfolio as well as a clear vision for teaching. Salary and other compensation (including priority access to on-campus faculty housing) are competitive with the nation’s finest public universities.

Each application must contain: a cover letter, CV, up to three key publications, a statement of research and teaching interests, and three letters of recommendation. A separate statement that addresses past and/or potential contributions to diversity, equity, and inclusion must also be included. All materials must be uploaded at: https://recruit.ap.uci.edu/apply/JPF04299 <https://recruit.ap.uci.edu/apply/JPF04299>

The positions are for appointment July 1, 2018 and are approved at the assistant professor level. The review of applications will begin January 5, 2018.

The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.