[Air-L] Internet Research Ethics 3.0: invitation to interviews

Charles M. Ess c.m.ess at media.uio.no
Sun Oct 15 11:02:00 PDT 2017

Dear AoIR-ists, copy to aline franzke,

The AoIR guidelines for ethical decision-making (2002, 2012) are living
documents that continue to prove useful to researchers and ethical
review boards alike who confront the multiple ethical challenges that
arise in internet-facilitated research.
But novel developments, such as the increased complexity of datasets,
questions of “grey data” and data from mixed sources (governmental,
corporate, university-based), embedded metadata, along with many others,
have occasioned the AoIR project of developing additional ethical
guidelines and resources for internet research.  So an Ethics Working
Group was inaugurated following last year’s conference in Berlin; a
first stage in our work will be two ethics roundtables this coming week
in Tartu that highlight such contemporary ethical challenges and their
possible resolutions, and dialogues with researchers facing similar
challenges.

At the same time, the Working Group wants to collect examples and
develop case-studies of such contemporary ethics challenges.  We hope
that an effective way of doing so is to invite interested researchers to
short, informal interviews (e.g., instead of asking for more formal and
time-consuming written accounts).
Specifically, we would be very grateful indeed to collect your personal
views and opinions about challenges you see in data-driven research.
With your permission, these opinions and views may be used to build
paradigmatic case-studies that will help improve the guidelines, add
some flesh, so to speak, and create a broader and more complete picture
about what needs to be addressed in the new guidelines and resources.

aline franzke is an ethics WG member who has developed considerable
expertise in the area of data ethics.  We are very fortunate indeed that
aline serves this fall as a research assistant in the Department of
Media and Communication, University of Oslo, with specific focus on
furthering the research and work of the WG. aline will be available in
Tartu to interview researchers who wish to contribute their experiences
and comments.
The interview may take only a few minutes, but will be limited to 30
minutes. Interviews will be audio-recorded and then transcribed: the
original interview recordings will be deleted. Interviewees may remain
completely anonymous: it is not necessary to give your name, institution
or position. Interview transcriptions will be used only for the purpose
of building the body of case-studies. Interviewees may also request to
review any potentially public use of the case-study prior to its
distribution or publication; they may further ask for either additional
steps to protect confidentiality and anonymity, or simply withdraw their
permission for the case-study to be published in any way.

While challenging and sometimes difficult to document in these ways, we
know that it is only by making personal struggles with data research
transparent to a certain degree will we be able to respond adequately in
the new version of the AoIR guidelines.
Please feel free to contact aline at <aline.franzke at gmail.com> if you
would like to share a story or describe an issue that urgently needs to
be addressed.

Many thanks in advance,
- charles ess
Co-chair (with Anja Bechmann and Michael Zimmer), AoIR Ethics WG

--
Professor in Media Studies
Department of Media and Communication
University of Oslo