[Air-L] dark web recruitment

Oltmann, Shannon shannon.oltmann at uky.edu
Tue Oct 17 12:19:30 PDT 2017

I am conducting a research project on the use of encryption (some of which is used to protect or conceal illegal activities). Some of my interviewees have mentioned the dark web. I have recruited primarily through Reddit. I find a subreddit of particular interest, contact the mods to see if I have their blessing to post a recruitment message, and then post. The key is to stay on top of comments and PMs. I was unfamiliar with Reddit before beginning this project, but a friend gave me a quick overview and the learning curve has not been steep.

Contrary to my anxious expectations, the folks on Reddit have been welcoming, kind, and receptive (even, often, enthusiastic subjects). I haven’t specifically looked for dark web info, but I know there are some subreddits related to the dark web. That may be a place to begin recruitment (or learning about folks who are interested in the dark web).

I echo others: I strongly suggest you set up encrypted email (Proton Mail is very user friendly), use a VPN, and take other precautions.

Dr. Shannon M. Oltmann
Assistant Professor
School of Information Science
College of Communication & Information