[Air-L] Meme Tracking

Claudia Nazario cnazario at email.arizona.edu
Wed Sep 13 13:39:45 PDT 2017

*Going Viral* by Jeff Hemsley and Karine Nahon

On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 12:50 PM, David Stodolsky <dss at secureid.net> wrote:

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emic_and_etic <https://en.wikipedia.org/
> wiki/Emic_and_etic>
>
> In anthropology <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropology>,
> folkloristics <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folkloristics>, and the
> social <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_sciences> and behavioral
> sciences <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behavioral_sciences>, emic and
> etic refer to two kinds of field research <https://en.wikipedia.org/
> wiki/Field_research> done and viewpoints obtained:[1] <
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emic_and_etic#cite_note-1> emic, from
> within the social group <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_group>
> (from the perspective of the subject) and etic, from outside (from the
> perspective of the observer).
>

> > On 10 Jun 2017, at 22:22, Heidi Huntington <huntington.heidi at gmail.com
> <mailto:huntington.heidi at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> > Internet memes borrow their name from Dawkins' invented term, but really
> are a quite different thing.
>
> If so, then using the same term is bad methodology.
> I would place it in the same category as “alternative facts”.
>
> New age religion claims to be science.
> Unless someone can show that the term is needed, then its use is merely an
> attempt to propagandize for Dawkin's religion.
>

> dss
>

> > In the 2014 book Memes in Digital Culture, published by MIT Press, Limor
> Shifman discusses the problematic history of the term and specifically
> defines Internet memes as a separate phenomenon rooted in participatory
> media culture. Between Shifman's work and others', there is published
> scholarship to support the use of the term "meme" to refer to the Internet
> practice without necessarily subscribing to Dawkins' concept.
> >
> > As was mentioned in this thread, those of us who study Internet memes
> ultimately use the term "memes" because that is the term the people who
> make them use.
> >

> > On Jun 10, 2017 1:30 PM, "David Stodolsky" <dss at secureid.net <mailto:
> dss at secureid.net>> wrote:
> >
> > > On 10 Jun 2017, at 21:15, Giorgia Castellano <
> giorgia.castellano at gmail.com <mailto:giorgia.castellano at gmail.com>> wrote:
> > >
> > > "As the refs below show, the term meme has no validity.
> > > Rumor propagation and the spread of innovative ideas has a long
> history of study in social science."
> > >
> > > Well, memes are not important only if you have never set foot on the
> internet in the last 10 years. They are all talking about internet memes
> which have almost nothing in commong with biology-derived memes. Those blog
> entries are from 2010 which in Internet years counts as 100 years of
> evolution.
> > >
> > > so http://imgur.com/gallery/PZRWvjd <http://imgur.com/gallery/PZRWvjd>
> <http://imgur.com/gallery/PZRWvjd <http://imgur.com/gallery/PZRWvjd>>
> > >

> > There are no “biology-derived memes” and there are no “memes”.
> > The concept is nonsense constructed for ideological reasons from whole
> cloth by Dawkins.
> [...]

Claudia Nazario

Ph.D. Candidate, Spanish & Portuguese

University of Arizona

At the University of Arizona, "Anyone who directly witnesses a bias or hate
incident, believes they are a victim of bias or hate activity, or becomes
aware of an incident of bias or hate are encouraged to report the incident
to the Dean of Students Office and/or UAPD. Reports may be made
anonymously."
https://arizona-advocate.symplicity.com/public_report/index.php/pid348626?