[Air-L] Mapping data flows

Anne Helmond anne at digitalmethods.net
Tue Sep 19 05:49:58 PDT 2017

Hi Tracey,

In my dissertation I have developed a number of approaches to map data
flows between social media platforms and other platforms and websites, see:

Helmond, Anne. “The Web as Platform: Data Flows in Social Media.” Ph.D.
University of Amsterdam, 2015. http://dare.uva.nl/record/1/485895

In developing methods these for mapping data flows I have been greatly
indebted to the work of Greg Elmer and Ganaele Langlois (and Fenwick
McKelvey) whose two articles on this topic I can highly recommend:

Langlois G, McKelvey F, Elmer G, et al. (2009) Mapping Commercial Web 2.0
Worlds: Towards a New Critical Ontogenesis. *Fibreculture* (14). Available
from:
http://fourteen.fibreculturejournal.org/fcj-095-mapping-commercial-web-2-0-worlds-towards-a-new-critical-ontogenesis/

Elmer G and Langlois G (2013) Networked campaigns: Traffic tags and cross
platform analysis on the web. *Information Polity* 18(1): 43–56.

Best regards,
Anne Helmond

---

Dr. Anne Helmond | Assistant Professor of New Media and Digital Culture
University of Amsterdam | Turfdraagsterpad 9 | 1012 XT  Amsterdam | The
Netherlands
http://www.uva.nl/profile/a.helmond | http://www.annehelmond.nl/ |
@silvertje

Highlighted publication:

Helmond, Anne. 2015. “The Platformization of the Web: Making Web Data
Platform Ready.” *Social Media + Society* 1 (2).
doi:10.1177/2056305115603080.