[Air-L] Examples of local and personal Facebook moderation?

Nicholas John n.john at huji.ac.il
Wed Sep 13 02:01:58 PDT 2017

Hello everyone,
In Israel, Facebook suspended the account of a journalist after he published - in the popular online newspaper he writes for - an article criticizing an earlier wave of suspensions of Israeli Facebook “celebrities” who had used words that Facebook deemed inappropriate.
My question for you folks is this: Have you, in the countries you live, you have come across similar instances of Facebook suspending users for criticizing Facebook? Are there other examples out there of local Facebook offices seemingly taking matters into their own hands in what seem to be individually-targeted acts of moderation?
I’m aware of instances of journalists in different countries being suspended or banned for their anti-regime stances; in all the cases I’ve seen Facebook retracted the suspension and said there had been a “mistake”.
Here, though, I’m interested in confrontations between Facebook itself and users, resulting in Facebook deploying sanctions against users.
Thanks in advance,
Nik

Nicholas John
Department of Communication