[Air-L] Position announcement in Interactive Media and Game Development

deWinter, Jennifer jdewinter at wpi.edu
Mon Sep 18 08:21:21 PDT 2017

Hello fellow AIR-ers,

Following our successful hire from last year, we are pleased to announce that we received an additional line on the technical side of Interactive Media and Game Development at WPI. Here’s the link to the job ad<https://careers.wpi.edu/postings/5001>, and here’s the cut and paste summary:

Position Title

Assistant Professor

Department

Interactive Media & Game Development

Position Status

Basic Function

The WPI Interactive Media and Game Development (IMGD) Program and the Computer Science Department jointly seek to hire a tenure-track faculty member to start July 1, 2018. Candidates should hold a Ph.D. in Computer Science or related discipline at the time of appointment.
Established in 2005, WPI’s top-ranked IMGD program is a collaborative venture between the Computer Science, Humanities & Arts, and Social Science & Policy Studies departments, with close affiliations to the Learning Sciences and the Robotics Engineering Programs. IMGD has a robust undergraduate B.S. program that balances artistic and technical skills, with a growing graduate M.S. program in interactive media and game design. We welcome faculty candidates with expertise in any of a variety of relevant areas, such as (but not limited to):
• novel interface design/immersive HCI,
• technical game development,
• mobile and networked games,
• virtual and augmented reality,
• games and learning,
• procedural content generation, and
• technical animation.
Successful candidates will have a clear plan to establish a research program within IMGD, seek external research funding, and participate in teaching at both the graduate and undergraduate levels in IMGD and the Computer Science department.
The 14 core and 9 affiliated IMGD faculty members bring diverse skills and experiences to the teaching and scholarship of all things interactive. The IMGD Program enjoys strong support from the university and has state-of-the-art space and equipment for designing, creating, and evaluating next-generation interactive experiences. Further, Massachusetts offers an excellent home for game developers with an active independent game developer scene, hosting PAX East, Boston FIG, and a number of other game-related organizations and events. We expect successful candidates to contribute to the collaborative and collegial atmosphere we currently enjoy. For more information about the IMGDProgram, please visit http://imgd.wpi.edu.

Posting Date

09/15/2017

Closing Date

12/15/2017

Special Instructions to Applicants

To apply, please submit a C.V., brief statements of research and of teaching, and the names and contact information for three references.
Applications received by December 15, 2017 will be given full consideration.
To enrich education through diversity, WPI is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. Women and members of traditionally underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply.

EEO Information

WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.

Best,

Jennifer

Jennifer deWinter | Associate Professor of Rhetoric | Director, Interactive Media and Game Development<https://www.wpi.edu/academics/departments/interactive-media-game-development> | Director, Japan Project Center | Associate in Research, Reischauer Institute of Japanese Studies, Harvard University | Co-Editor, Influential Game Designers Book Series<http://www.bloomsbury.com/us/series/influential-video-game-designers/> | Worcester Polytechnic Institute | 100 Institute Rd | Worcester, MA | 01609 | 508-831-6679 | jdewinter at wpi.edu | Office: Fuller Labs B25a