[Air-L] Assistant Professor position in Communication, Politics, and Policy

Rena Bivens rena.bivens at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 07:22:47 PDT 2017

I'm writing to draw your attention to our tenure-track position here in the
School of Journalism and Communication at Carleton University in Ottawa,
Canada. Get in touch if you have questions!

- Rena Bivens

Assistant Professor in Communication, Politics, and Policy – Preliminary
(Tenure-Track)

Start Date: July 1, 2018

Closing Date for Applications: October 27, 2017

About the Position

The School of Journalism and Communication at Carleton University invites
applications from qualified candidates for a preliminary (tenure track)
appointment at the rank of Assistant Professor, to begin July 1, 2018.
Deadline for the receipt of applications is Friday, October 27, 2017.

Candidates should demonstrate strong potential to become leading
researchers in the area of communication, politics, and policy. Candidates
may work in a variety of sub-fields, draw on a range of theoretical and
methodological approaches, and focus on Canadian or global/international
issues. We are particularly interested in applications from scholars whose
research activity and teaching interests engages critically with one or
more of the following:

   - Media technologies and election campaigns
   - Communication and public/civic engagement
   - Media, gender and politics
   - Communications policy
   - Cultural policy
   - Political rhetoric
   - Propaganda and populism
   - Political activism/advocacy
   - Digital diplomacy
   - Media and development

The successful candidate will be expected to conduct high quality research,
participate broadly in teaching and mentoring of undergraduate and graduate
students, and contribute actively to the service culture of the School,
Faculty, and University.

The Communication and Media Studies program is located within the School of
Journalism and Communication, offering programs of study leading to
undergraduate (Bachelor of Communication & Media Studies) and graduate
(Master of Arts, PhD) degrees. Our approach to both research and the
teaching of communication and media studies is broad and interdisciplinary,
focusing on communication theory and history, and the critical analysis of
media and communication industries, institutions, practices, and texts.

Qualifications

Qualified candidates must possess a Ph.D. in Communication or a related
discipline by the date of the appointment. However, outstanding ABD
candidates who are close to completion may also be considered. Candidates
should provide evidence of theoretical and methodological sophistication,
possess an emerging publication record and demonstrate potential to attract
external funding, graduate students and postdoctoral fellows. Consistent
with Carleton University’s focus on teaching excellence, the successful
candidate will be committed to developing innovative approaches to
pedagogy, encouraging creative and critical inquiry, and empowering
students to become active citizens.

 Application Instructions

Candidates should prepare a zipped electronic dossier that includes a
signed cover letter; current curriculum vitae; a 2-3 page statement
describing current and future research plans; a sample undergraduate and
graduate course outline that draws from our existing curricula; one writing
sample; and the names and contact information of 3 referees. Candidates who
are selected for an interview will be asked to arrange for letters of
reference and should advise their referees of this possibility.

Applications must be submitted electronically to Ms. Carole Craswell,
Administrator, School of Journalism and Communication, Carleton University:
Carole.Craswell at Carleton.ca.

Please ensure application materials are addressed to Dr. Josh Greenberg,
Director, School of Journalism and Communication, 4302C Richcraft Hall,
Carleton University, 1125 Colonel By Drive, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1S
5B6.

Inquiries about the position can be made via email to:
Joshua.Greenberg at Carleton.ca.

Please indicate in your application if you are a Canadian citizen or
permanent resident of Canada.

About Carleton University

Join our intellectual and collaborative community of scholars. Carleton
University is a dynamic and innovative research and teaching institution
with a national and international reputation as a leader in collaborative
teaching and learning, research and governance. To learn more about our
University and the City of Ottawa, please visit www.carleton.ca/provost.

Carleton University is strongly committed to fostering diversity within its
community as a source of excellence, cultural enrichment, and social
strength. We welcome those who would contribute to the further
diversification of our University including, but not limited to: women;
visible minorities; First Nations, Inuit and Métis peoples; persons with
disabilities; and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and
expressions.

Applicants selected for an interview are asked to contact the Chair of the
Search Committee as soon as possible to discuss any accommodation
requirements. Arrangements will be made in a timely manner.

*All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and
permanent residents will be given priority. All positions are subject to
budgetary approval.*