[Air-L] Open Rank position in Library and Information Science, Syracuse University

Caroline Haythornthwaite chaythor at syr.edu
Thu Sep 21 06:01:20 PDT 2017

Applications should be submitted by Sept. 30. For the full posting, see https://www.sujobopps.com/postings/70146 or to https://www.sujobopps.com/, Search Jobs, and enter keyword 073250.

Syracuse University’s School of Information Studies (The iSchool, see http://ischool.syr.edu) is soliciting applications from leaders, educators, and scholars in school library media and related disciplines to join its renowned and interdisciplinary faculty in the area of library and information science (LIS). This position is open to distinguished educators and leaders who can serve as tenured/tenure track faculty member with a focus on research in LIS, or as Professor of Practice with a focus on LIS. We encourage applications from both junior and senior educators and scholars with a record of leadership in school media or associated areas of interest. The successful candidate will join our “Faculty of One” in a highly collegial environment that stresses collaboration amongst our school’s faculty and with other members of the university community.

We seek colleagues who provide a strong contribution to the area of school media, who can also deepen and extend our strengths in library and information science. We see LIS as a broad area which includes K-12 school librarianship, digital scholarship, information organization and retrieval, reference and information literacy services, assessment, library policy, community-focused librarianship, entrepreneurial librarianship, youth services and data science. The ability to obtain research grants and/or other external funding will be considered a competitive advantage in our evaluations, as will evidence of teaching experience and a commitment to teaching excellence, and leadership in LIS and/or school library media. Rank and years of experience are open for tenured/tenure track candidates. Candidates for a Professor of Practice position must show significant professional leadership in school library media and have a graduate degree in library and information science or related discipline.

Applicants must submit a cover letter outlining their interests and qualifications (including the rank they are seeking); a current curriculum vitae; a statement describing research and teaching interests and accomplishments; and names and contact information of at least three references to: www.sujobopps.com. JOB #073250. Strong candidates will be contacted for letters of reference and asked to provide research samples, a teaching portfolio or other evidence of teaching experience, and/or evidence of leadership and practice in LIS and/or school library media. Please do not submit these items with the initial application. We strongly encourage women and underrepresented minorities to apply. We are interested in candidates who have the communication skills and cross-cultural abilities to maximize their effectiveness with diverse groups of students, colleagues and community members.

Applications should be received by September 30, as we will begin screening applicants in October, 2017. For more information and to apply, please go to www.sujobopps.com job posting #073250.

Located at the center of picturesque Syracuse University, the iSchool is at the cutting edge of scholarship and instruction. The iSchool has four degree programs and an enrollment of 36 doctoral students, 570 masters’ students and 730 undergraduates, led by 48 full-time faculty  and 100 part-time faculty. Our faculty have recognized strengths in information retrieval, information management, library programs and services, natural language processing, computational social science, online communities and civic participation, new forms of organization and collaboration, information and communications policy, smart energy systems, digital literacy, information and network security, globalization, data science, entrepreneurship, and social media. The iSchool hosts six research centers and laboratories. The SU-ADVANCE program (http://suadvance.syr.edu/) provides extensive mentoring services for women faculty in STEM disciplines.

Caroline Haythornthwaite
Professor, School of Information Studies
Director, MLIS Program
Syracuse University
chaythor at syr.edu
https://haythorn.wordpress.com/