[Air-L] Software/Platform/Architecture studies methodologies?

Matthias Spielkamp | iRights.info ms at iRights.info
Fri Sep 22 08:11:39 PDT 2017

Hi all,

at AlgorithmWatch we're currently running Datenspende (data donation), a
crowdsourced external auditing of Google's search results. It has some
similarities to the approach Bodo and his colleagues at UVA are taking
although we're collecting a lot less info (albeit from a lot more
people). There's an English language description here

https://datenspende.algorithmwatch.org/en/

Preliminary results have so far only been published in German:

https://algorithmwatch.org/de/filterblase-geplatzt-kaum-raum-fuer-personalisierung-bei-google-suchen-zur-bundestagswahl-2017/

We're hoping to be able to provide some English language results on the
project in the near future.

Cornelius Puschman has posted some of his analysis of the data we
collected in English (also here on the list a while ago):

https://www.hiig.de/en/blog/how-significant-is-algorithmic-personalization-in-searches-for-political-parties-and-candidates-part-ii/

Cheers
Matthias

On 18.09.17 10:56, Bodó Balázs wrote:
> Hello,
>
> we designed and implemented a browser plugin based infrastructure with
> which volunteers can share their data stream with us when they visit
> certain websites, including social media.
> currently 400+ participants from a social science research panel already
> donated 16000 days worth of data.
> we've written up the design and the challenges here:
> Tackling the Algorithmic Control Crisis—the Technical, Legal, and Ethical
> Challenges of Research into Algorithmic Agents
> B. Bodo, et al.
> 19 Yale J.L. & Tech. 133
>
> http://yjolt.org/sites/default/files/bodoetal_0.pdf
>
> get in touch if you are interested setting up the infrastructure for your
> study.
>
> Cheers.
>
> b.-
>
> On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 1:11 PM, Deborah Lupton <deborah.lupton at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Mike Michael and I have done some work using design/cultural probes and
>> hands-on activities to investigate public understandings of personal
>> digital dataveilance. I am having a lot of fun at the moment experimenting
>> with design sociology methods.
>>
>> An article on this study can be found here:
>> https://ojs.library.queensu.ca/index.php/surveillance-and-
>> society/article/view/whos_data
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 6:52 AM, Tracey P. Lauriault <tlauriau at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Greetings all;
>>>
>>> I am looking for research methodologies to study things like data flow
>>> lines, systems, platforms, following data trails, IoT and data, etc.
>>>
>>> Things like:
>>>
>>>    - Applied theory
>>>    - Walkthrough methods
>>>    - Ethnographic (of systems/orgs/platforms but not of social media)
>>>    - and etc.
>>>
>>> We have lots of great theory, but hard to find some research methods.
>> Any
>>> intel would be most helpful.
>>>
>>> At the moment it is about looking at utility and transportation grids and
>>> meters and sensors in a smart city context. But it could also be
>> something
>>> similar in a precision agriculture context.
>>>
>>> Cheerio
>>>
>>> --
>>> *Tracey P. Lauriault*
>>>
>>> Assistant Professor
>>> Critical Media Studies and Big Data
>>> Communication Studies
>>> School of Journalism and Communication
>>> Suite 4110, River Building
>>> Carleton University
>>> 1125 Colonel By Drive
>>> Ottawa (ON) K1S 5B6
>>>
>>> 1-613-520-2600 x7443
>>> Tracey.Lauriault at Carleton.ca
>>> @TraceyLauriault
>>> Skype: Tracey.P.Lauriault
>>> https://carleton.ca/sjc/people-archives/lauriault-tracey/
>>>
>>> Join the Association of Internet Researchers:
>>> http://www.aoir.org/

>> http://www.aoir.org/

Beste Grüße
Matthias Spielkamp

ACHTUNG: neue Festnetznummer: 030.959.98.100

--

iRights.info
Recht in der digitalen Welt

Matthias Spielkamp | Herausgeber
ms at iRights.info | www.iRights.info
Fon +49.30.959.98.100
Mobil +49.177.760.2000
Almstadtstr. 9/11 | D-10119 Berlin

Public PGP key:
https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x2E968D2EA92D8822

--

*iRights.info* - Urheberrecht in der digitalen Welt - ausgezeichnet mit
dem *Grimme-Online-Award* 2006, dem *Klicksafe-Preis* für Sicherheit im

Twitter @iRightsinfo
Facebook.com/iRights.info