[Air-L] Your incoming online group user survey questions?

Steven Clift slc at publicus.net
Mon Sep 25 08:28:04 PDT 2017

E-Democracy is launching a small grant funded effort to build online
engagement among workers and residents in downtown Saint Paul.

It will be an interesting mix of civic, professional, and social
networking. The key difference from typical local online groups will be a
focus on the daytime crowd... primarily workers. (Greater downtown Saint
Paul has roughly 75,000 workers, 8,000 residents and growing fast housing
wise. My goal, build an online group with 10% of folks who work, live, or
frequently visit downtown or 10,000 people in a Facebook Group.)

While E-Democracy invested heavily in an online neighbors forum user survey
which generated 1300 responses -  http://blog.e-democracy.org/posts/2610 -
it was at the *end* of a well funded project. (Although,  by design with
our volunteer base and cheap tech, the online communities live on supported
by participant donations.)

In this case, I see an opportunity for a short pre-engagement survey that
can be used to both get some baseline data and inform the facilitation,
content seeding, and guidelines for the online (Facebook) group.

And if we secure funding beyond the three month pilot, we can do a post
survey in a year.

So what questions have you asked in a similar situations? Or about
community engagement? Or professional networking online? Etc.

Please send input along ASAP: clift at e-democracy.org

In the next two days, I need to get our short survey into the field. We
will be promoting it through many local channels to reach prospective group
members and will include an invite to request an invite to the new group
with their email at end of the survey.

Thanks,
Steven Clift
E-Democracy.org

P. S. Last time we took 18 months to research, deliberate on and craft our
questions.  This was our previous question set:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7hmVl0vhGLVTjhudFU0ZGU5RlU&authuser=0