[Air-L] TT Position / CRC Position in Critical Disability Studies and Media Technology

Fenwick Mckelvey mckelveyf at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 12:54:52 PDT 2017

*Please circulate widely and contact myself or Dr. Acland with any
questions*

Concordia University’s Department of Communication Studies invites
applications for a full-time tenure-track position as the Canada Research
Chair (Tier II) in Critical Disability Studies and Media Technology. The
ideal candidate will be a scholar, or scholar/media-maker, with outstanding
promise to be a leading international voice in critical disability studies.
Successful candidates will be expected to teach at all levels and to
develop a significant collaborative research agenda that builds
departmental distinctiveness in the intersection of disability and media
studies. We especially welcome critical race, post-colonial, indigenous,
and feminist approaches.

Founded in 1965, the Department of Communication Studies
<https://www.concordia.ca/artsci/coms.html> at Concordia University is
Canada’s oldest degree-granting department in the discipline. Our expertise
and major research contributions have been in cultural studies, feminist
media studies, moving image studies, sound studies, environmental studies,
game studies, mobility studies, critical race theory, media history, and
the politics of identity. The Department offers programs leading to BA,
Graduate Diploma, MA, and PhD degrees. The undergraduate Degree in
Communication Studies is well known for its integration of media production
and critical theoretical perspectives; we offer the only undergraduate BA
in Communication and Cultural Studies and the only graduate diploma in
Communication in Canada; we have over thirty years of experience running
our MA in Media Studies, which includes over twenty-five years of
innovations in research-creation methods; our growing PhD program offers
students advanced training in media and cultural studies. In keeping with
Concordia’s mission, the Department fosters inclusivity in its research,
curriculum, and teaching practices, and is committed to serving the needs
of a diverse student population. Candidates are encouraged to visit our
departmental website <https://www.concordia.ca/artsci/coms.html> for
additional information concerning our programs and priorities.

*RESPONSIBILITIES*

The appointed candidate will be expected to demonstrate research
leadership, to produce high-impact innovative scholarship and/or
research-creation, to teach at all levels, to supervise undergraduate and
graduate students, to contribute actively to the life and reputation of the
Department and the University, and to participate significantly in an
international scholarly community.

*QUALIFICATIONS*

Candidates will have a PhD in Communication or Media Studies, or in a
cognate area, by the date of appointment as well as successful teaching
experience, proven grant-writing abilities, evidence of scholarly and/or
research-creation contribution, and significant promise of research
distinction.

*ELIGIBILITY*

Candidates eligible for Tier II chair positions must be exceptional
emerging scholars within 10 years of their highest degree at the time of
nomination. Applicants who are more than 10 years from having earned their
highest degree (and where career breaks exist, such as maternity, parental
or extended sick leave, clinical training, etc.) may have their eligibility
for a Tier II chair assessed through the program’s Tier II justification
process
<http://www.chairs-chaires.gc.ca/program-programme/nomination-mise_en_candidature-eng.aspx#s3>.
Please consult the Canada Research Chairs website
<http://www.chairs-chaires.gc.ca/program-programme/nomination-mise_en_candidature-eng.aspx#chair_position>
for
full program information, including further details on eligibility criteria.

*COMPENSATION*

Concordia offers faculty a competitive compensation and benefits package
covering health insurance, pension and retirement benefits, paid parental
leave, and savings programs. We also provide mentoring and support for
research, scholarship, and publication as part of our commitment to ongoing
faculty professional development.

*APPLICATIONS*

Subject to budgetary approval, the position will begin August 1, 2018.
Applications must be received by no later than November 15, 2017. They
should be sent as a single PDF to Sheelah O’Neill, Department Administrator
<sheelah.oneill at concordia.ca> with the subject heading *CRC – Critical
Disability Studies and Media Technology*.

The application must consist of the following items, in the given order:

   - letter of introduction and intent
   - a five-page proposed research programme
   - a statement on teaching philosophy
   - a curriculum vitæ
   - samples of recent publications (and creative work, if appropriate)
   - evidence of teaching effectiveness (e.g. syllabi and teaching
   evaluations)
   - the names of three references

For inquiries, please contact:

Charles Acland, Chair
Department of Communication Studies (CJ-3.230)
Concordia University
7141 Sherbrooke St. W.
Montreal, Quebec H4B 1R6
C.Acland at concordia.ca