[Air-L] Faculty search: Interactive Media & Game Design at SUNY Polytechnic Institute

Andrew Russell arussell at arussell.org
Tue Sep 19 13:02:12 PDT 2017

Hello everyone -

I’m writing to let you know about a faculty position in Interactive Media & Game Design at SUNY Polytechnic Institute in Utica, NY.  The details and link to the application forms are below, but I’d like to use this space to editorialize about a couple of things…

- Our IMGD program is about a year old, and we have seen incredible response from students and the community. The growth enables us to hire faculty, and we anticipate that several positions will open up this year and in the coming years.
- We’re building new facilities as we speak - classrooms, VR/AR lab, and proposals in the works for a Library of Play and more.  And, next month we will cut the ribbon on new facilities for advanced manufacturing that includes a makerspace, 3D printers, and other related engineering facilities.
- We’ve got an energetic and diverse group of faculty who have built the program, and funded research projects that include faculty from engineering, biology, game design, and more.
- The search committee is currently reviewing applications, and will be moving quickly to invite applicants for phone interviews.  So even though there is no deadline posted on the ad, I would encourage anyone interested to apply within the next couple of weeks, ideally no later than October 2.

I’m the dean of the college where the program is located, and it’s difficult to contain my excitement about it :)

I’d be happy to answer any questions, and please spread the word if you know colleagues who would be interested!

https://sunypoly.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=82736
The Department of Communication and Humanities at SUNY Polytechnic Institute invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor in Interactive Media & Game Design (IMGD) to start in August 2018.  We are especially interested in candidates who apply interactive media in research and/or professional practice, and who can teach courses in UI and UX design, virtual and augmented reality, instructional design, interactive audio, and/or 2D and 3D digital media.  We also seek candidates with experience with video gamer culture and industry practices.

We seek candidates with demonstrated commitments to supporting and cultivating diversity in the university and/or interactive media professional environments. The successful candidate will be expected to establish a robust research agenda, and to shape our new IMGD program and to help it grow into new, state-of-the-art facilities that will be available for the Fall 2018 semester.

Candidates should have completed a suitable graduate-level degree (MFA or PhD) in a relevant field from a college or university accredited by the U.S. Dept. of Education or other internationally recognized accrediting organization at the time of the appointment. The successful candidate will have demonstrated scholarly interests and/or creative practice involving the arts, design, and technologies.

All the best,

Andy

Andrew L. Russell, Ph.D.
Dean, College of Arts & Sciences