[Air-L] CodeSwich.MN - Disrupting Equity - National Day of Civic Hacking - Sep 23-24

Steven Clift slc at publicus.net
Wed Sep 20 08:20:55 PDT 2017

For those interested in how the hackathon conference format can be applied
to equity issues, please check out:

    http://codeswitch.mn

And follow the event on Twitter @CodeSwitchMN
<https://twitter.com/CodeSwitchMN> and #disruptinequity
<https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=default&q=%23disruptinequity&src=typd>
.

Here is a bit of national radio press coverage
<http://www.publicnewsservice.org/2017-09-20/social-justice/minnesotans-ready-to-hack-through-inequity/a59486-1>
(available
for rebroadcast).

And more information:

Put the National Day of Civic Hacking
<https://www.codeforamerica.org/events/national-day-of-civic-hacking-2017> on
September 23rd on your radar. Here is a list of events
<https://www.codeforamerica.org/events/national-day-of-civic-hacking-2017>
around
the United States. Follow #hackforchange
<https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&q=%23hackforchange&src=typd> and #ndoch
<https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=default&q=%23ndoch&src=typd> on
Twitter.

As the issue of equity and civic tech, equity and tech in general is top of
many people's minds these days, I want to especially encourage you to check
out the second CodeSwitch event <http://codeswitch.mn/> in Minnesota. If
you would like to be put in touch with organizers, drop me a note
<team at e-democracy.org> and I will introduce you in case this inspires you
to organize something similar or to trade notes on your similar activities.
- Steven Clift <http://stevenclift.com>

*Do you want to Disrupt Inequity?*

Join in on September 23-34 at Union Depot, in Downtown Saint Paul at
CodeSwitch:

                *http://codeswitch.mn* <http://codeswitch.mn/>    (Details
below)

[image: Inline image 1] <http://codeswitch.mn/>

*What is CodeSwitch?*

Code Switch is a free, two-day civic hackathon in which community members,
designers, project managers, programmers, and people who just want to
learn, collaborate intensively on projects that change our community. Great
solutions are born when innovators from the community lead the development
process—from ideation to launch.

*Is CodeSwitch for me?*

Yes. Code Switch is for everyone. Code Switch is for you. We are looking
for techies AND non-techies: from developers to entrepreneurs, artists,
educators, business professionals, everyday people and more! You will join
other people on a team to come up with an idea on a web or mobile app that
helps solve a pressing problem in your community.

*What is a Hackathon? *

A hackathon is an event in which community members, designers, project
managers, programmers, and people who just want to learn, collaborate
intensively on projects. There are no fixed rules for what Code Switch
project teams can work on. Projects can be technical or non-technical.
Projects can be proposed by anybody (yes, anybody). You don’t need a
detailed plan.

*Organizers *
Code Switch is organized by Blacks in Technology - Twin Cities
<https://www.meetup.com/Twin-Cities-Black-Software-Technology-Meetup>, Open
Twin Cities <http://www.opentwincities.org/>, and Software For Good
<https://softwareforgood.com/>. It is part of Hack for MN and the National
Day for Civic Hacking 2017
<https://www.codeforamerica.org/events/national-day-of-civic-hacking-2017>.
We leverage inclusion, data, and technology for civic innovation and change.

P.S. E-Democracy.org <http://e-democracy.org/> is the 501c.3 non-profit
fiscal agent for OTC and the Code Switch event. Check out the growing list
of amazing CodeSwitch event sponsors <http://codeswitch.mn/sponsors/>. If
you would like to donate toward this event or related activities, you can
do so here <http://e-democracy.org/donate> online. Leave a memo about
CodeSwitch. Donations are tax deductible.