[Air-L] Definitions for Social Media Sites

Aaron S. Veenstra aaron at etchouse.com
Mon Sep 25 09:34:19 PDT 2017

One thing worth noting about the boyd and Ellison piece -- which is
often cited to define "social media" -- is that they don't define
social media in there. The term "social media" appears only once in
that paper, as part of the background ("Furthermore, as the social
media and user-generated content phenomena grew, websites focused on
media sharing began implementing SNS features and becoming SNSs
themselves. Examples include Flickr (photo sharing), Last.FM (music
listening habits), and YouTube (video sharing)." pg. 216). They
explicitly define "social network sites," which they explicitly
differentiate from "networking" sites.

Aaron