[Air-L] Book Announcement: A table for one: A critical reading of singlehood, gender and time

lahadk@post.tau.ac.il kinneretla at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 12:42:24 PDT 2017

Dear Moderator,

I would be very grateful if you could circulate  the announcement of my new
book to the members of the list. I am a feminist sociologist, a media and
cultural studies scholar and my book analyzes texts taken from various
sources of social media as blogs, web columns, films, television series and

Many thanks,

Kinneret

Dear all,

I am delighted to share with you the free, legal and open access for
downloading my book: A TABLE FOR ONE A critical reading of singlehood,
gender and time published by Manchester University Press.

Here is the link and additional details below:

http://www.oapen.org/search?identifier=635870;keyword=lahad

If you are willing to write a review (for a journal/newspaper/blog),
interested in publishing one (or know anyone who would), please let me
know. I would be grateful if you could share the announcement with your
contacts.

Many thanks,

Kinneret

*A Table for One :A Critical Reading of Singlehood, Gender and Time*

“What are you waiting for?” Stop wasting your time” “You will die alone,”

“You will miss the train and stay on your own!” These are some of the
questions and warnings that single women hear on an everyday basis. Single
women are constantly being asked whether they are ‘’still single,’’ or
being bid to get  married next or soon. Still, soon, ever-after, waste of
time, waiting, how long, when, all these form part of the rich language of
time. This book argues that time plays a crucial rule in the discursive
formation of female singlehood and that our common understanding of
singlehood is dominated by underlying  temporal models, premises and
concepts. By adopting an interdisciplinary approach and integrating
different theoretical realms and perspectives, this book paves way for a
new theorization of singlehood and time. Lahad’s unique approach gives us
the opportunity to explore and theorize singlehood through temporal
concepts such as waiting, wasting time, timeout and accelerated aging.
Other temporal categories which are examined throughout this book as age,
the life course, linearity and commodification of time enable the fresh
 consideration of our dominant perceptions about collective clocks,
schedules, time tables and the temporal organization of social life in
general.

By proposing this new analytical direction, this book seeks to rework some
of our common conceptions of singlehood, and presents a new theoretical
arsenal with which the temporal paradigms which devalue and marginalize
single women and women’s subjectivies in general can be understated. Lahad
argues that singlehood is sociologically important, because it touches upon
some of the pressing issues in social life and raises fundamental questions
about how people make sense of their lives and organize their lives with
others. Drawing on a wide range of cultural resources - including web
columns, blogs, advice columns, popular clichés, advertisements and
references from television and cinema, the author challenges the
meaning-making processes of singlehood and time. In this connection, the
book lays the ground for a rich, multilayered politicized analysis of solo
living and temporality and intends to be a mile stone in both singlehood
and time studies.

*Kinneret Lahad *is Senior Lecturer in the NCJW Women and Gender Studies
Program of Tel-Aviv University, Israel

Kinneret Lahad

Ph.D. Senior Lecturer

NCJW Women and Gender Studies Program

Tel-Aviv University, Israel

*The free link to the open access version for A Table for One *

*http://www.oapen.org/search?identifier=635870;keyword=lahad
<http://www.oapen.org/search?identifier=635870;keyword=lahad>*

*https://162.academia.edu/KinneretLahad
<https://162.academia.edu/KinneretLahad>*

*New and Forthcoming Publications*

Just Published! Lahad Kinneret  (2017) A Table for One: A Critical Reading
of Singlehood, Gender and Time. Manchester, *Manchester University Press  *
http://www.manchesteruniversitypress.co.uk/9781526116369/

Lahad Kinneret and May, Vanessa (2017) “Just one?’ Solo Dining, Gender and
Temporal Belonging in Public Spaces”. *Sociological Research Online. *
http://www.socresonline.org.uk/22/2/12.html

Lahad Kinneret, Sabar, Galia; Sabar- en Yehoshua, Naama  (2017) "Doing and
Displaying Gendered Boundary Work among Blended Families in Israel"
*Sociology*, published online first
http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/0038038516677220

Yodovich, Neta and Lahad, Kinneret (2017) "I don't think this Woman had
anyone in her Life': Loneliness and Singlehood in Six Feet Under" *European
Journal of Women's Studies  *published online first:
http://journals.sagepub.com/eprint/MyWvu8nBCnqFvhcwSBY4/full